The Infamous Mailbox Story | Teen Ink

The Infamous Mailbox Story

By OliviaWebb BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
OliviaWebb BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

One day when I was in fourth grade I was riding bikes with my best friend Caitlin. Caitlin had a sister named Lexi and a brother named Matt. Let me give you some background. I lived in a small little area in Wyckoff with five little quit streets all connected. There was a lot of kids who lived around and a lot of old people; it was a good mix. My best friend lived the street over; we would always walk to each others house and hang out. We hung out almost everyday in the summer just to give you a reference of how close we were. So now that you know the background let me tell you the real story.

So one day after school I walked over to Caitlin's house. We decided we were going to go on a bike ride. We went into her garage and started to get our helmets on and get our bikes out. My bike was sky blue with Barbie pink streamers on the handlebars. But Caitlin’s bike was beautiful I always wanted to ride her bike instead of mine and she would let me sometimes. Her bike was dark purple with light pink streamers but she had a bell on her bike. You know one of those bells that every kid wants but no parent wants to buy because they are so annoying. The bells that no kid ever actually used to be safe when there were cars around; but still had to have. I got on my bike and we both rode out of her driveway and up onto the street. We always rode our bikes the same way. We would go out of her drive way and go left and up the street at the end of her street we would make up right onto my street and then go by my house and then back to her house. It was about a forty second bike ride going full speed. When I get half way up her street I hear someone yelling, “LIV LIV LIV.” So naturally I turned my head around while still riding the bike going forward. I could not find who was yelling. Finally I saw Lexi, Caitlin's sister. Lexi started to yell again, “ I want to come too.” Before I could even answer I went face first into a mailbox.    

I was lying on the ground with the mailbox lying next to me. I hit the mailbox so hard it came down with me. When I finally got up after about five minutes. I had cuts all over my arm and one huge one on my leg. I was not embarrassed even though Caitlin was laughing at me because it was Caitlin; we were best friends.

When I finally got up I walked home and told my dad what had happened. Me being in sixth grade did not know how to take care of the cuts and clean them up. So I took paper towel and wrapped it over my arm and leg and stuck it together with tape. That did not really work out so well because the second I moved a little and bent my arms or legs the paper towel ripped. My dad then helped me put band aids on my arms and legs. Then he gave me a note that explained what had happened to their mailbox; and told Caitlin and I to pick up their mailbox, put it on their porch, and leave the note with the mailbox. We left my house and walked over and did as my dad had told; after we walked back to Caitlin’s house and explained the whole story to her family again.           

Fast toward a week; my dad got in contact with the people who’s mailbox I ran into. And they said do not worry about it just give us a check. My parents thought that was kind of rude of them; but they left them a check and that was the end of it. Today I am sixteen and my family still brings up this story and laughs about it.