Spelunking the Terrifying Black Cave | Teen Ink

Spelunking the Terrifying Black Cave

May 29, 2018
By ejoy5 SILVER, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
ejoy5 SILVER, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone says we all face our own adventures, some tiny, others huge. They all occur at all various times in our lives. I remember one of my greatest adventures was walking in a pair of doors on September 6, 2016. The doors were like the face of a cave, once I went in who knows what would happen.  Those doors have completely changed my life, from the time I rise in the morning to the time I lay my head on my pillow. All it took was one day into that huge cave, with many different chambers, big and small, tunnels and passageways, so many that we easily could lose our way. It was much easier for me to get confused about the direction, since I was all alone. I had no one to turn to, give a inspiring smile or high five after every moment of survival. I could see through the opening into the massive cave, yet I didn’t know how I would find my way out by the end of that day.
I started out a simple homeschooled girl. Sitting at my kitchen table, a round wooden table, or at the kitchen counter, working on assignments. I would read to my mom a story as she boiled noodles for homemade mac and cheese. When my mom was working with my younger brother I would help by watching my baby brother play on a blanket as I worked on math. After my studies for the day were done I would spend hours outside running through the yard and swinging on the swingset. Hours would pass quickly playing in the woods with friends, some that I knew since I was very little. I never really thought that one day would totally change my life. Nothing really would ever be the same.
Making it through that first hour of the day was one of the most accomplishing things I felt like I have ever done. I remember it quite clearly, the couple minutes right before the bell. The shrieking bats, glad the sun was gone so they could gather, all around in clumps, and then there was me a outsider. As I was winding my way through the caverns, I saw stalagmites towering, teachers making sure kids weren’t running in the halls. I remember walking to my locker straight across from my first hour class. I slowly placed my hand on the locker combo and turned it as if it was on fire. Knowing that once I opened it my day would officially start. Simply moving that couple feet across to the classroom with my books and pencil pouch was like walking across a rope bridge over a deep canyon. Heading past the teacher and opening the door was like I was between the moment of the rope snapping, leaving me to fall to my death or being able to reach the other side and carry on with my journey. Luckily the rest of the hour was only little bumps, like wandering up to a girl sitting in her seat reading a book. I said in barely a whisper, “Can I sit with you?” I felt as if I could hardly breathe as I awaited her response, wondering if it was possible she would all out say, “No.” What felt like a million years passed before she simply stated, “Yes.” I felt as if a weight had dropped off my shoulders as I sat next to her and started a conversation. The rest of the morning went by pretty fast as I rushed from class to class worrying that I would be late, that the 4 minutes would wash away, like the rock in a cave as it erodes away.
But in every hardship we must find beauty. It was if I had stumbled on a dazzling clear blue lake in the middle of the dim cave. The simple 30 minutes that I got a break from the madness was refreshing. I am forever appreciative to the friend who assisted me through the lunch line. I had never done anything like it before. It was if I was walking through a long winding maze with different puzzles along the way. I never had to deal with it before; my brothers and I would all eat together at the counter. I never had to wait in a line in order to eat lunch. With the help of my friend that led me through, I was able to truly learn how lunch works, at the school I now call mine, the cave that I have explored inside and out.
I remember this event and think it will always stay with me--that first jump that I took marching through those doors. I realized in the darkest caves we can still find diamonds, great friends that will help us through the day. Going through that first day of school was a whole new experience for me. I can never thank enough the people that came out and welcomed me. They helped me become comfortable walking through the halls and going to classes. Through them I learned so much during that year. It’s only the matter of looking for the sunshine peeking through the clouds.