The Day I... | Teen Ink

The Day I...

May 23, 2018
By Jeremyk BRONZE, Columbus,IN, Indiana
Jeremyk BRONZE, Columbus,IN, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I'm going down the hill going faster…...Faster…...FASTER my knot in my stomach untied itself as i grew a smile on my face i push myself with one foot to pick up more speed on the skateboard but instead of picking up speed i flew up as the skateboard swept under my feet down the road with nobody on it i start to go back down to earth when i realized i should start from the beginning.

 

----------------------------

 

It started on August, 7th when me and my family were just getting back from eating out. When we got into the house I went upstairs and changes out of my clothes that i was wearing currently at the time. After i changed i went downstairs to ask my parents if i could go outside.”Can i go outside?” I asked.
“Yes sure,”My parents said.I Beamed up with excitement I hoped down the rest of the stairs and ran out the door as i waved bye to my parents.I went outside to go see who was home and who was not. I knocked on almost all the peoples doors that i knew besides one.
I knocked on his door and he answers.”Hey wanna come out and play?”i ask.
”Sure ill be out in a second,” my friend said.I hear a roaring sound as i quickly turn to my side and see his garage door opening.I run down his porch stairs down the concrete sidewalk and onto his driveway.I crouch down under his slowly opening garage door into his garage.
“So what do you want to do?”I remember my friend saying.
”I don’t know,”I replied back.
”Then why did you come get me?”he asked confused.
”Bored,”I said.
”.......I kinda want to make a video,”My friend said
.”ok what about”I asked.
”It's when ill be riding a skateboard behind you riding another skateboard just filming like a cool little video”He explained.
”Ok lets do it”I said.


As we are walking down his driveway my stomach starts to feel like 10 bricks are stack on me.I just have the feeling something bad might happen like his board hits mine and i fall off and hurt myself.We get to the spot we are going to stop at right on the top of the not very steep hill on the road.I stand there regretting my choices while my friend is going to go get the boards.He gets back and he puts one board next to me and puts the other behind mine.I get on feeling confident because i know i have rode on a skateboard before and i was fine.
I start going and going picking up speed fast…...too fast.I hit the part when i first start going slightly downwards and pick up even more speed.My stomach is in a knot right now and my thoughts were drifting  as fast as me and i couldn’t even understand myself but i was enjoying it my smile was like a upside down rainbow right now.The video is looking really cool according to my friend…..which is good besides the part the board starts to wiggle.I stick my arms out to try to regain balance it works.Only for a second though……


I fly off the board thinking i'm ok pick yourself up I stick my hand out to try to catch myself.That was a stupid idea because as my hand made impact it bent into my arm and snap completely in half.The only thing was i didn’t notice at the time but then i looked down to the main cause of pain.All i saw before i screamed to my friend was my arm bent in a way that arms don’t bend.My palms started to sweat at this point and that straight face of not knowing turned into a frown as i started to cry a little 1...2….3…...4 tears running down my face 5…...6….7…...too many to count i was a living waterfall “Help!” I Yelled.Like it was a tiny hill on the top of my arm.I scream to my friend to open my house door and i was also thankful i broke my arm right in front of my house.My friend is getting his other board that flew away as he was completely unaware my arm was broke.When he grabs his board he hears me he quickly turns around sees me and sprints as fast as he could to me.
  

I get in the car with my dad my arm aching with pain.”you need help”My dad asked as i was struggling with my seatbelt.He reached across my heaving breathing chest to put on the seatbelt.I felt like my bone would break out of my sweaty skin any second now.


”How far away i-is the hospital dad?”I ask barley getting the words through the amount of pain.
”We are almost there just keep pressure on it”I felt like any more pressure would make the pain to unbearable so i didn’t listen.The sweat going down my face was like a waterfall at this point.I was trying my best to not break out crying all over the place.”Hold on”My dad said as he speed up extremely quickly.”CRACK” as i push my arm against my chest because my dad took a sharp turn into the parking lot. My arm felt like it was in billions of pieces and i was too scared to look down.


The doctors were telling me they were going to put me to sleep and put my arm back together as much as they could.It was weird cause when they put me to sleep i had a dream that i broke my arm.When I woke up i was bathing in sweat from how hot the room was.I couldn’t really see anything because everything was too blurry.I turn my head seeing my dad words are coming out of my mouth but i can’t hear anything and there is two of my dad's circling in my eyes.For a split second everything fights to get in my ears as i can hear again my dad repeats”What was that” he said asking about what i said when i couldn't hear anything.


”I don’t know” i said weirdly.”Is my cast cool?”i asked
”It sure is”I hear in reply.I went to the same doctor’s office for the next 4 months or so every time he said i was making little progress because of my x-rays.


It was the same check up everytime i went until one time.The doctor told me i was going to have a pin surgery.Which to sum that up it's when they put pin type tools through my arm to try to hold my arm together.so i got upset(not crying upset) but my stomach suddenly went empty.I walked with sadness through the lobby to the room to get my surgery scheduled.We finally get it scheduled and the next day comes.We arrive and i get the surgery clothes on and get the surgery done.I woke up with a burning feeling inside me like i was about to explode.The nurses are asking politely”Do you need a drink”they said”I want my parents”I said with attitude in my voice.I was gripping my fingers in a tight fist position.i start to lean up forgetting completely about my arm the nurses push me back down.I don’t know why but everything was escaping my mind like i didn’t remember anything.


So my arm still had a bump so my new doctor told me i would have to have another surgery.We got it scheduled and i felt sad thinking to myself”Why another one?”The next day came and so was the surgery i got the clothes on and on with the surgery.after was the worst my arm felt like 50 knives where going through it everything was so blurry i couldn't see anything but but my vision cleared up like clouds after a rainy day my thoughts weren’t clear and i couldn’t understand myself all i felt was the throbbing pain of my arm”You ready to leave”The nurse said.”Yeah”I said slurring my words.I was rolled out to my car in a wheelchair left with just my thoughts..Then endless throbbing pain for days and so on.


My doctor was peeling of the cast a little at a time.”There you go,”He said”Your good to go your arm is healed.”I couldn’t believe it my face grew with excitement.

”Thank you for all you have done,”My mom replied.I jumped out of the chair and grabbed the doctor’s hand and shook it wildly.I Couldn’t believe after the year and a half journey it's finally done.I left the doctor’s office with some of me left behind.