The Hole | Teen Ink

The Hole

May 23, 2018
By Anonymous

It was a beautiful day outside in Tirana, and Luis’s family were all cooped up inside. Luis, Marco, and James were dying to go outside but their parents wanted them to finish their homework. Finally, after 20 minutes of arguing their parents finally let them out and Luis, Marco and James bolted for their bikes.


They had decided they were just going around the city and started towards the city. A little while later they turned a corner they arrived in a small alleyway. The alleyway was a tight street with graffiti everywhere, it was somehow dark in the middle of the day and had a faint smell of something dead. Luis and his brothers started speeding up in order to leave the alley as soon as possible. In their haste, they did not realize they were heading straight for a wall! As Luis and Jaime approached they braked and slowed down while Marco furiously turned almost hitting the wall head-on.


“What was that!” James exclaimed, seeming terribly frightened.
“I don’t know, I think my brakes broke,” said Marco while testing his bike. “Maybe you just forgot to brake, it’s always been a problem, you only use your feet!”
“Yeah right, you just don’t want mom and dad blaming you for being irresponsi-”
“Guys, stop” Luis interjected, sensing an oncoming fight. “Let’s just go home” James and Marcos nodded.
  “Alright but as long as we can stop at the hole”. They all agreed and headed home.


The hole was a construction site near the Doshi factory, it was a large hole in the ground 15 meters deep and 10 meters wide. As the brothers entered the construction site they felt the hot sun blaring down on their backs, the dust rose from the ground blurring vision a tiny bit so it seemed everything was always moving. To get to the hole they had to climb a hill, to do this they needed a lot of speed. So they started pedaling early to arrive at the top of the hole. They normally stopped at the top of the hill and did not get any closer to the hole but this time they wanted to see what was in it. As they reached the top of the hill they slowly inched themselves up and over the mound, at the top of the mound, they saw the hole, standing there like an alligator waiting for its prey.
Every other time they had just stayed at the top of the mound watching the hole but this time since they were curious and had time to spare they started to head towards the hole. As they inched down the mound Marco started gaining speed.


“My brakes!” he exclaimed “They still don’t work!” as he started gaining speed rolling faster and faster. Behind him, James started speeding up too.
“James!” Luis screamed, “What are you doing?!”
“Going to get our brother!” James yelled, getting faster and faster. Marco was nearing the edge now, trying to stop himself by putting his feet on the ground but it was too slippery. James now an arm's length away from Marco lunged for him but missed, He tried again but this time he grabbed on to his shirt. James, not caring for a ruined shirt turned and braked at the same time just stopping Marco as his front wheel went over.