Happiness from Food | Teen Ink

Happiness from Food

By mlooney BRONZE, Niles, Illinois
mlooney BRONZE, Niles, Illinois

Every holiday that my aunt hosts she makes a certain appetizer called stuffed mushrooms. The mushrooms have a combination of mayo bacon bits and seasoning. They are so savory and they hit the spot everytime. I burn my tongue on them because I want to eat them so fast but I don't mind because they are so amazing. Everyone loves them and they are gone in about 5 minutes but since my grandpa's passing they have a special place in my heart because they were one of his favorite foods. They remind me of him and make me feel happy.

These are usually made on thanksgiving which, obviously has a lot of food meaning because it is a food holiday. Me and my aunt always make sweet potatoes with melted marshmallows on top and ever since I was little it was my job to put the marshmallows on top. It makes me happy now because it reminds me of being a little kid. It also keeps me rly close to my aunt because we will always have this memory together. The sweet potatoes and mushrooms might just sound like foods to you and they may even sound nasty but to me they are extremely special and delicious. These foods remind me of simpler times and make me feel comfortable. These foods make me feel happy because it means my family is together. These foods make me feel hungry. I’m very lucky to be able to have these memories and to make these foods with my family. I feel very fortunate.

This piece is about a food that has always brought me good taste, memories, and closness to family.