A True Gift | Teen Ink

A True Gift

By LunarEclipse13 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
LunarEclipse13 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

I am a victim but I choose to be my favorite weapon lies behind my teeth

A genuine smile, not faked, not forced, a real smile, I was genuinely happy. The one to give me this gift was my friend (she was so annoying yet fun) named Riely. This gift is important to me because her positive ways changed me just a little. I used to be completely rude (still kinda am…), but since she helped me with that, I’ve been better (still showing the fake smiles… knowing me never going to stop). She showed me the kindness I never really received from some adults and most of the other kids. It felt nice and made me happy.

We were walking in the woods to our “secret spot.” (It was really just a clearing in the middle of the woods with a creek, flowers, and a huge tree in the middle). It was slowly getting closer to noon as  my watch had read. We were twelve that summer, and it was really hot that day, but she was moving the next day. “Why are we going to the spot?” I inquired.

“Because I added something,” Riely stated.
“I’m pretty sure I should be scared, but whatever,” I replied.
“Aw….C’mon why be scared? I promise it’s cool,” she pouted.
“If it isn’t, Imma tickle you to death!!” I stated, tickling her neck.
“No, have mercy don’t do it!!! It’ll make you smile promise!” Riely said as she started to run, although I just kept walking.  ‘Make me smile, hmm… Okay she can try then.’
“Make me smile then,” I challenged.

“Challenge accepted! I will and it won’t be fake!!!” she replied after slowing from a run to a walk next to me again. We had  reached the spot. The creek shined like the sun. The wind was like a whisper with its gentle breeze.  In the middle of the clearing under the giant oak tree and in the shadows were tiger lilies needing planted. Riely ran ahead of me once again, sprinting to the tree smiling like an idiot. She had beat my challenge. She had won. She made me crack a smile, and I couldn’t stop laughing at her. She was covered in dirt, had gloves on, and looked like a war had just conspired on her clothes, hair and face. Though it can’t be helped because I looked the same way. I do miss Riely. We used to talk on our moms’ phones all the time okay not twenty-four-seven, but you get what I mean as much as I miss her I have met more people that can make me smile like she could I guess opening up a little bit is pretty good.