Medical School | Teen Ink

Medical School

January 12, 2018
By Squidwardtortellini GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
Squidwardtortellini GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a child, my life was filled with love and fear. Love from a mother who had crossed the border to give her children a better life.  Fear from a family that was constantly looking over their shoulders. My background, along with my identity, can be easily compared to others from my community. It is my interest that sets me apart from my family.


My parents have not finished their high school education; my sister and oldest brother have gone as far as completing high school. My older brother tried to pursue a college degree, but he has discontinued his education. Me, I'm currently on a mission not only to receive a high school diploma but I'm on a mission to attend a four-year university and medical school. It is a goal and interest that no one in my family thinks is possible.


Seeing that I have not had the full 100% support from my family has not brought me down, but it had motivated me to show them that is it possible. I've had my brothers and sisters make fun of me for even thinking of going to medical school. On one hand, I see where they're coming from. As undocumented students, both of my siblings feared that applying to a college would expose them to immigration services. I acknowledge that this was a hard decision for them to make.


Most people view me as someone who takes on risks, but also someone who goes against the currents. When you've had to grow up faster than others in your community it forces you to become your own support system. Not only that but it forces you to look after yourself, look for better opportunities for yourself, it basically breaks you in for life. In middle school, I never thought I would be applying to attend high school at a community college. I never thought that I would be aiming for the education I’m aiming for currently; never thought that I would be where I am today. I thought that I would end up following my father’s and brother’s footsteps, discontinuing my education after high school, working at a construction site and growing old there. I believe a better education means a brighter future not only for me but for my family. I do have access to more resources and more opportunities than my siblings did, and I do not plan on wasting them.