Comfort Zone | Teen Ink

Comfort Zone

By Jennifer18 SILVER, Mount Propsect, Illinois
Jennifer18 SILVER, Mount Propsect, Illinois

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations"

The phrase ‘living life on the edge’ has many different interpretations. Some view it as a reasoning to take chances, while some view it as an opportunity to act on one’s own built-up courage. To me, it means both; it means going out of your comfort zone to grow, learn, and have fun while doing it. This is exactly what I did the summer of 2015. I took a risk and signed up for a retreat at Camp Gray in Reedsburg, Wisconsin. I didn't know anyone at this camp and it was over 225 miles from my house, but I was determined to try something new and exciting.

Prior to signing up, I felt the void of being on summer break and not capitalizing on all of my valuable time. It wasn't until I watched this cheesy movie on Netflix about a girl who went to camp and fell in love with it that I felt inspired. This low-budget movie inspired me to research camps that one day I could be a part of. I've always enjoyed trying new things, but felt restricted because I cared too much about what people thought of me. I soon realized that if I ever wanted to meet new people and really have a successful summer, I would have to take a leap of faith.

The next day I signed up for a two day retreat occurring the following month. I remember feeling very stressed as the days grew closer to the retreat. It can be a daunting task to be thrust into a situation full of unknown people and unknown events. Looking back, this is hard to believe because it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. This retreat taught me all sorts of new activities and introduced me to some wonderful people that I am still friends with today. When I arrived, I promised myself to be open to new activities and not let the fear of being judged stop me from fulfilling my potential. The more I believed in myself the more confident I was. The energy brought by the kids and counselors was unbelievable and pushed me to go out of my comfort zone.
During this retreat I learned so much about myself. I learned that taking chances can pay off in so many ways. If it wasn't for that random movie and spontaneous sprout of courage, I most likely wouldn't have signed up for camp. I also wouldn't have met all the people I did who have made me a better person today. These new friends are unlike any I have ever met. They accepted me for who I was and I didn't have to pretend to be anyone else, but myself. This boost in self esteem has taught me to care less about what others think of me, and be confident in my own skin. Everyone is unique and I believe the sooner a person accepts who they are, the happier they will be.

I had such a great experience at this camp that I signed up for a week long session the following summer. This camp later introduced me to mission trips. These mission trips affected me in even more positive ways than camp. Meeting people and being a part of adventures is something I’ve always loved, and will continue to participate in for the rest of my life.