A New Start | Teen Ink

A New Start

By Kyliew BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Kyliew BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I thought my life was over. I was happy for Dad, but what was I going to do? He was extremely excited about his new job yet, I couldn’t just leave everything all behind. At twelve years old, friends meant everything to me. Never had I ever thought I would be the “new girl.” The idea of starting at a whole new school with all new faces was terrifying to me. Mom told me everything would be okay and that I would make friends easily. I didn’t buy it. As moving day inched closer and closer, I tried to cram in as many sleepovers as I could before I left. I didn’t want to leave, but moving day was racing towards me. 

July came to an end as moving day neared. It was decided that at the beginning of August my family and I would leave our beloved friends, family and home behind and head to our new place. As I walked through my empty house, tears rolled down my cheeks. Although I was going to miss my bedroom dearly, I was beyond excited to set up my new room. I didn’t have to start at my new school for another month so maybe this won’t be so bad, I thought.

The leaves started to change and the temperature was dropping. School was getting closer. The butterflies in my stomach were going crazy and I felt nauseous. As I awoke on the first day of school, I didn’t know what to think. My nerves were kicking in more than ever, yet I was a little bit excited. Though I wasn’t hungry, I forced myself to eat a little something. I gave Mom a giant hug goodbye as she wished me the best of luck. I didn’t say much to Dad on the way to school. Thoughts were racing, and it felt like my head was spinning in circles. We grew closer to the school and I began to feel more and more nauseous. I really didn’t want to do this.

I walked into what I thought was my first class, but ended up being the wrong class. What a great start I thought to myself. The day went on and I began to talk to a few people. I was invited to sit with a group of girls at lunch and I felt so lucky. I was enjoying meeting new people and having a new routine. My new school was a lot better than I had imagined so far. Then all of the sudden, it was there again, the nauseous feeling in my stomach. I missed home so much and most of all, I missed my friends. In that moment I would have done anything to go back to my old school and start a new year with my friends. However, I kept Mom’s voice in the back of my head, she told me to stay strong and, everything will be okay.

Weeks passed and I developed closer friendships. I was invited to sleepovers with my new friends and I felt so special. It was the best feeling to be included like that, I loved spending time with them. I was glad I had a chance to meet such wonderful people but, at the end of the day I missed my old friends more than anything. Even though I missed them I was excited to get up and go to school everyday. Weeks passed and I formed my close group of friends at my new school, I was starting to feel happy that I had moved.

Every few months I would head back to the town I grew up in and visit my old friends. The first few visits were so much fun and, my friends and I had so much to catch up on. As years passed, I began to visit less frequently. Every time I went, it got worse. My old friends and I didn’t have much in common anymore, and we grew further and further apart. Each time I went back to visit my old friends, I missed my new friends. I had finally realized that moving schools isn’t bad at all. Mom was right. In fact, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. I’ve never had such great friends and I couldn’t be more thankful that I moved. There are still times when I reminisce on the days back in my old town. It makes me miss it a little bit, but I’m so happy here. I wouldn’t want to change a single thing about the life I have now.