The Future Miss Shamina | Teen Ink

The Future Miss Shamina

By onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other

As I stepped inside the classroom in Bangladesh, I left all my history behind me. I was surrounded by a multitude of varying skin tones, and I tiptoed timidly, engulfed by the voices whispering curiously about me. I ate lunch on a toilet seat that day in fear that someone might find me out. Due to my insufficiency in English, I was constantly bullied and segregated from the rest of the students. After a class where my teacher had made fun of my accent in front of everyone, I found myself crying in the corner of the library. Miss Shamina, the librarian, came to me at my low point and told me that there are great plans and futures for me. She listened to me, gave me hope, and taught me how to have a positive outlook on life despite the hardships. Since that incident, I was resolved to become a person like Miss Shamina, to help other people, and to repay her for her kindness.

Adjusting to twelve different cities in three different countries was not easy, but surviving those experiences has trained me and prepared me to use what I have received to bless underprivileged people. In literal terms, I started by taking up student leadership for Agape Home (HIV orphanage), becoming a core member for the Blessing Directive Club (aimed towards blessing the less fortunate) and Pottery Village ministry (working with local children).

Although many times I struggled with my direction in life, my dad helped me find the answer through the many tasks he has had me pick up in the past few years. His call for me to become a dentist became evident after I had the opportunity to help dental volunteers in Bangladesh. Just as Miss Shamina showed her love to me, I would like to reveal the kids the power of education and believing in the existence of a positive outcome as a result of hardwork and determination.