my memoir | Teen Ink

my memoir

This all starts about the middle of my sophomore year. I've been playing lacrosse for about four years now and the next season was coming soon, it was time to start lifting weights. Every day in the weight room was crucial to getting better. Every day in the weight room sucked, i was sore and tired but my goal is always to be better then the next guy and that was the same goal this year. Every time you would lift everyone was yelling and motivating you to do more.
Not long after lifting ended the team started winter conditioning. At this point I was going after the top guys on varsity no matter what I had to be the best. We had started a one on one drill and one of my first choices was Michael davis the starting middie, he was a top dog and a good target. All I could think was to be the best but it wasn't gonna come easy so i had to work till I couldn't anymore.
Today was our first practice of the season. Just walking out to the field I was happy, I had the biggest smile just to get started. Just doing the drills it was to easy, I knew I could make varsity I just had a feeling. I just knew JV was to easy and I wanted a better challenge. I talked to my coach over the summer and he said he saw potential in me so I knew I had to work hard.

Our first scrimmage is where I really showed how good i was. We were playing Tecumseh. Right off the start it was to easy, I got ground ball after ground ball and scored once. I ran all over the field as fast as I could. My coach was proud of everyone, we won 36-2. After that day I had no doubt I was being pulled up.
Two days before our first game I doubted I was getting pulled up and I was pretty upset. I was in the locker room changing and my coach wanted to talk to me and I was nervous because I didn't know what to think. He told me that they were looking for a player to move up that could play anywhere they needed, a player that could play the whole game. Then he asked “would you like to be moved up” and without a doubt I said yes. We ended our season 3-15 but it was still a great choice no matter how many we lost.