Martial Arts Is Mind Blowing | Teen Ink

Martial Arts Is Mind Blowing

By Tyler=YipmanJr BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Tyler=YipmanJr BRONZE, Sacramento, California

During the winter break of 2015 I revisited a movie that was made in 2008 on Netflix. The movie is about the grandmaster of Wing tsun(the chinese spelling for chun, but with a TS), Yip man who is played by Donnie Yen. In the first part of the movie a new master who had just opened his kung-fu school goes to Yip man’s house for a challenge, but first Yip man asked the new guy to have dinner with his own family. “Sure,” he said.

Once they’re done with dinner , the fight started. The new master charged at Yip man, but Yip man’s fist were so quick and my face was like super widened. I was very amazed by how fast he could hit and apply so much damage. The other guy hurt his own back, but the fight still continued. Then Yip man just gave the other guy a barrage of bullet punches and then turned into slapping that were so quick that my eyes couldn’t follow it. I was like, “Woah I wish I could fight like him!”

Word got out that the new master lost because one his student’s brother spied on the fight and told everyone he lost.The master goes to find him at a restaurants. He starts a fight with him, but the other brother tried to stop his master, but the master gets way angrier, so then the younger brother tells him, “If you want to fight then Yip man is upstairs”! The younger brother goes upstairs to where Yip man is at and the master follows him. Then the younger brother says, “ Yip man I’ve been wronged, tell everyone you beat him”. Yip man was in shock as to how did everyone know he had a fight with the new master. The master says, “ Master Yip you must clear my name.” Yip man nodded his head. The older brother comes up and says, “Why are bothering master Yip!” The younger one replied, “ I just told the truth that’s all!” “Well you should’ve just kept quiet instead because it might cause them embarrassment!”, said the older brother. “What embarrassment?”, he replied. The older brother pulled the younger brother’s pants down and everyone one that was with them laughed including myself. After that the younger brother left.

Then a cop came and said, “What’s all the commotion about?” Everyone grew quiet. The master replied,” I’m just here to claim justice.” The cop said, “Justice, I am justice. You people are always fighting no matter what the cause is. Don’t you all see it’s all about guns now!” Then master Yip man got up and grabbed the cop’s gun and I was like, “ Oh my god things are about to get real!” Then the cop started to feel nervous and then it was at that moment he knew he messed up. Yip man flicked out all the bullets from the cowboy look alike gun and everyone was shocked. I said to myself, “ How is that real?” Yip man left the building and went back home.

Later on new people arrived to the city of Fo’shan, looking to open up a martial arts school. He goes up to a different master and ask for a practice match, but the other guy took at as it was a challenge. They fought each other and the outsider won, so then he challenged all of the other schools and they all lost. The older brother went to yip man’s house and asked him if he could look into stopping them. Yip man nodded his head and said,” I’ll see what I can do. The fighter asked the Pho guy, “Who is the best fighter in all of Fo’shan?” The man replied, “Yip man.” The outsider made a gigantic crowd and said, “ Let’s go and watch me beat Yip man.” They arrived at Yip man’s house itching for a fight. “He is gonna regret doing a challenge with Yip man,” I said. The cop came and said,” Everyone out now, Yip man you have to regain our honor!” The outsider said, “I really wanna know how a man could fight like a girl.” Yip man replied, “ Style does not depend on what gender you are, but on your technique.” So then they fought and as I watching I saw Yip man grab a feather duster and whip the other guy’s butt with it. I was yelling,” Ohhhhhhhhhhh!” The outsider lost and he left the city all angry. Everyone was very cheerful until it happened.

The Japanese invaded Fo’shan, killed many people and took over Yip man’s  house. Everyone was drove into poverty and jobs were very hard to find. The only jobs that were shown in the movie were a coal miner and a cotton mill. I mean I like Japanese people, but their armies are bad because they try to take over other countries. As the movie went on Yip man got a job as a coal miner and he saw the older brother there as well. Then the Japanese came with a half Chinese and half Japanese dude and said, “Who wants to go fight the Japanese and whoever wins get a sack of rice.” The older brother replied, “I’ll go!” Others went with him as well. They then got to the arena shortly. The general of the army told his Lieutenant that he wants to have in on the fun as well. So then the Lieutenant said, “Tell the Chinese that three of them will fight the General and they will get rice regardless if they win or lose.”

The older brother went in and two others went in as well. They all fought the General head on, but got beaten badly. The older brother didn’t back down, so he kept fighting and I was like, “Never give up!” They General caught him in a headlock and said, “Do you want to die that badly!” The older brother spit his blood onto the General’s face. The General screamed, “You asshole!” He threw him up and kicked him so hard in the chest that he died. “No!”, I screamed. He was barely in the movie too, so I was mad.

Later on the Japanese went back to the coal-site and asked for more people to go. Yip man asked, “Where is Lin?” They just kept saying, “Who wants to go?” Yip man asked to go and then more people went with him. They arrived at the arena and Yip man saw the new master fighting 3 belts at the same time. He lost because he somehow got kicked in the junk. He then said, “No more, I give up!” He got shot by the Lieutenant and Yip man asked, “ Why did they shoot him!” It was at this moment that I was really getting into the zone and wanting to take this style too because it’s really cool and amazing. The Japanese opened up the gate for Yip man and he said, “I want to fight 10 men!” The mixed guy said, “Are you crazy?” The general allowed it, so then 10 black belts rose up and circled Yip man up. Shortly, the battle started. They all charged at him, but Yip man was just standing there beating them up 1 by 1. Then there was like 2 left and i felt bad for the one who was about to charge at him because Yip man does a move called the chain punch and he did it to the black belt guy and his attacks were so fast that he had a spasm. The last guy was just pounded to oblivion.

After this scene I went to ask my Dad if I could take this style as well and he said, “Yes.” I was so excited and plus it was my first time wanting to do martial arts. The last three days of December we went to the place where I could learn the style and I would be starting on January 1st. Ever since I watched that movie it change me, I am much more disciplined than I was back then. This style is really simple and I have a blast being there because everyone is nice and people say that I pick up real quick. I’ve been taking Wing tsun ever since the 1st of January all the way towards October. I’ve been taking this for 10 months straight. I’m glad that I took this style because I can defend myself now and my friends.

The movie Ip Man inspired me to write this piece.