Living in the City | Teen Ink

Living in the City

October 11, 2016
By Derricka16 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Derricka16 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

They say “evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.” My question is how could someone have so much hatred toward someone that they can end a person’s life so heartlessly, and not feel a bit of sympathy for the victim nor the victim’s parents? Well, I live in the city. Where people are careless.

 

I was born and raised in the city where teens scarcely make it to the age 18 because of gun violence. Day by day parents mourn their children who were killed, going to the store, hanging out with their friends or were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Parents then have to live with those last words they remembered for the rest of their life. It haunts them and they blame themselves for not “protecting” their babies. I tend to feel that people who can get so enrage to end someone’s life actually have a war within themselves. 


I live in the city where people say “be safe” when leaving someone. Where people do not react to gunshots because they are so numb. Where funerals are more frequent than birthdays. Where people are isolated. I never understood why people make the city this horrible place to live in because they can’t bear to get over their pride and they must seek revenge.


I live in the city where they call it “the city of broken dreams” because people are shot and killed before they have an opportunity to become someone special. Can u imagine having a little brother growing up in the city? It terrify’s me. I don’t want him to get trapped into what the streets make look cool. I do not want him to interact with people who are aiming to use themselves for evil purposes.


I live in the city where people are careless. I am from the city, but the city is not in me. Hopefully one day I will make it out.