Meeting My Dad | Teen Ink

Meeting My Dad

March 29, 2016
By Callie.Brisentine PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Callie.Brisentine PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana
34 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
We meat for a reason either you're a blessing or a lesson.


It was about 5 years ago when I found out my dad was really my step dad. My mom had taken me to the park and said she was going to introduce me to someone. I was unsure of what was going on and was a little scared. When we got to the park there was this guy, a little boy, and a girl there. I was confused as to why I had to meet these people. She had me take pictures with them and they asked about school. Later on I learned the guy was my dad. My real dad and the boy was my brother.


I was happy and worried at the same time. I had always wanted an older brother and I was afraid they wouldn’t like me. I was scared my dad wouldn’t like me because I was his first girl. I started seeing him more and more and learned I had nothing to be afraid of. My dad, Cedrick, was actually really cool and funny. My brother, De’Quan, was funny and I could easily beat him in anything. I started spending the night at my dad’s house and playing around with them like I’ve known them forever. It was fun at first, but everything is at. Then it all changed.


My mom and step dad didn’t like my real dad because he missed 10 years of my life. So, we had a lot of court dates to go to and judges jugging thing and saying how things should be. I started crying more and seeing people less, I didn’t see my brother and couldn’t focus during basketball games. My life felt ruined and I wished I had never met my real dad. Everything seemed easier if I didn’t exist. So, after months and months of court dates and arguing about child support I completely stopped seeing my dad.


I stopped seeing him for about 2 years. Then my crazy uncle had a long talk to me about seeing and having a connection with my real dad and family. So, I went and tried to find his number so I could call him, but there was no luck. Then, on June 18, 2015, my birthday I got a birthday card in the mail from an address I barely recognized. It was from him, I opened it and started crying. I was so happy and mad at the same time. I wrote him a letter and sent it to him saying thank you and if he had the time we could go out to a movie. We went to the movie and saw the new Fantastic Four and we’ve been spending time together a lot more. We’ve gone to basketball games, text, call each other, and go out to eat. We even have plans this Saturday to go to Logan’s and to the movies.
I’m so happy to have reconnected to my dad and hope to make our daddy daughter relationship grow. I’ve made it through the bad times with him and now I want the happy times where he can be proud of me and all I do.