Finding Myself in High School | Teen Ink

Finding Myself in High School

By muellaut GOLD, Ionia, Michigan
muellaut GOLD, Ionia, Michigan

It's okay to not be okay.

It was the end of my freshman year of high school when I realized I absolutely hated and despised school, at the same time. Trying to find out who I am in high school is probably one of the hardest things I have had to do, especially when everything changed. High school was such a big change because I actually had to care about so much more than when I was in middle school. I never thought high school would change me, but it did. And I absolutely loathed it. But high school also taught me so much, about being who I am, and I’m only a sophomore. Everybody thinks high school is so great, but in reality, it’s not. It’s stressful and more times than usual, it’s horrible. During school, I would always get interrupted or talked over, and it made me feel like no one was ever listening to me, and it felt dreadful to feel like that all the time. Although, high school is filled with days that will bring you down, there will also be days in school will bring you up. So, at different points throughout your high school career, always remember it gets better.

I think what I do with my life, defines me as a person, because what I do with my life while I’m in high school determines where I will get to go. Whether it be what college I go to or what type of job I get. Doing everything I want to do and everything I need to do, are two totally different things. It gets hard choosing between the two of them because I don’t always know which one’s right at a certain moment in my life. High school has taught me so much about choosing what’s right for me and what fits for my life, at any certain moment. Because all of the choices I make now, will affect me later on in my life, with whatever I decide to do. High school provides everyone with so many opportunities to grow as a person and a student, I see so many people never taking those opportunities. But, why? I think it’s so important to get involved and become apart of something because it allows us to grow as individuals. I also see that not a lot of people value school, like I do. Yes, school isn’t my favorite thing in the world; it provides me with an outlet and time away from home.

The worst part about high school is not knowing where I belong. What do I consider myself? What am I interested in? What do I want to do with my life? There’s that statement again, what do I want to do with my life? I get asked this question so much, whether it be from family members or teachers. I always used to say, I don’t know because at the time I didn’t know. But I guess that statement was never really important to the people asking me because their life is already figured out, and I’m suppose to do that, even though I’m not an adult?

Within the doors of high school, I felt that if people looked at me or starred, they were thinking something horrible to themselves about me, as I got through that first year, I realized it’s less important to care about what others think of you; it just matters what you think about yourself. I’m the only person, I have to worry about. I’ve also learned that everyone isn’t perfect, even if they seem to be. Don’t judge yourself based on what you see at school, because home life could be so horrible and it’s just hidden beneath that smile. I think at home is where a lot of people’s sadness derives from, because home is a place where there is no escaping from. Therefore, meaning that no matter how happy somebody looks, there is always apart of the person that contains some type of sadness. I will admit that high school has some pretty awesome and precious moments but the majority of it, is nobody caring about what you have to say, and loads of homework. Which can be dreadful but I have to get all the stuff I don’t want to do done and over with, to later do the things I do want to do. I want to be able to go to the places I want to go, without having to have anything from my high school life appearing. Trying to find out who I am in high school is probably one of the hardest things I have had to do, and it changed everything for me; how I saw and looked at what I’ve accomplished and achieved. With all the encouragement and support I’ve received, I know I’ll get to where I’m going, one day.

Wrote this piece for a let me speak project, I was doing in one of my classes.