His Dream | Teen Ink

His Dream

January 28, 2016
By HannahRose00 SILVER, Hemet, California
HannahRose00 SILVER, Hemet, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My older brother since the age of 5 has always had the dream to be in the Air Force. He wanted to retrace his grandfather’s footsteps and be just like him. Fortunately for him his dream came true.  When my brother was a freshman in high school, he immediately joined ROTC hoping it would give him a little insight on what joining the Air Force would be like. After 4 years of high school and 4 years of ROTC, he was finally able to join. He was underage though, and had to wait a year before he was fully enlisted and able to go off to basic training. During this time period he kept in shape and worked hard every single day in order to fulfill his weight requirement (he was too skinny at first). Finally, after what seemed like forever to him, he was able to go off to basic training. He would have to spend 8 weeks in basic training in order to go off to tech training. He was off to basic training in the hottest place in the United Sates, Texas. Every day was a challenge for him as he was faced with 100 degree temperatures at the lowest. His diet was limited to healthier foods and he worked out about everyday. Then he was finally graduating from basic training. Standing in 100 degree weather he proudly faced his commander and was now officially done with basic training. As we went up to greet him and congratulate him, his eyes filled with tears, with one thought in the back of his head, would his grandfather be proud of him today?  We were allowed a few days with him until he was off to tech training for about 2 months. Once he completed tech training, he was deployed out to the seas. Hoping for a safe place he was stationed in Misawa, Japan. He is currently still in Japan and is being deployed out to Guam, where he will stay for about 6 weeks and then return for another year in Japan. He is currently married and happily living his childhood dream while proudly serving in America.