Skyscrapers | Teen Ink

Skyscrapers

By Alretha.Y.A.Bonding BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Alretha.Y.A.Bonding BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Don't take the skyscrapers for granted. The ones you might have seen almost everyday, you used to get the perfect view as soon as you would enter the highway. The skyline, either day or night, still burns in your memory.  
       When you were young, the skyscrapers made your head swirl with questions.You used to look out to the to the right window and would see the city that never sleeps. You used to be mesmerized by their size and structure. You are at a young age, yet you mind wandered off by just looking at them. You wondered how they got there, and what sacrifices were made to get them to stand tall and make others look with envy. And on the days you would visit them the world would seem to stop spinning. You would stand in the middle of the sidewalk, while people were pushing and hurrying around, and look up.  You would hurt your neck by looking up at the buildings with your mouth in a wide grin. You thought the skyscrapers could touch heaven, and hoped one day you might touch it too. It was at that moment you forget you were standing in a place where people only dream of visiting.
         But like any other any other gold thing, it would not last. As you grew older, you saw the ugliness in its beauty. The magical city turned out to be tangible. You learned the cold hard truth about the skyscrapers and its history. They were surrounded with crime and hate, you could not bear to understand how you were so blinded by its lights. You began to realize that the skyscrapers were just a pretty wrapper to cover the ugliness it holds. It made an illusion to hide what was truly inside. People who suffer, people who beg, even the people who might play instruments on the streets while people surrounding them cry at the end of the night. Every time you heard a foreigner speak about the city, you would shake your head. You believed it was an illusion and when you saw the truth, it made you think that your childhood was a lie.
          Miles will soon separated you and the skyscrapers. You begin to miss it all, the traffic noises, taxi drivers cussing and flipping their fingers, people rushing, music on the streets, the smell of food trucks. You will soon feel pain when you reach out to the sky and find darkness instead of light. You soon will appreciate the ugliness and beauty of the skyscrapers and its city. Without the opposites the world would be unbalanced.