The Run | Teen Ink

The Run

By Vavapoetry GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah
Vavapoetry GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah

"Once social justice begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. And you cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore." -Cesar Chavez

The cold air rushing through my hair, the gentle pace of freedom. The sense of being a creature of nature, the feeling of power hidden in my body, the stories of my ancestors flowing through my blood. I still can’t stop imagining myself running alongside the car, becoming faster and faster. A horse on the grasslands of the ancient Persian empire. A warrior in the stealthy night.

It’s been two years.

I haven’t run more than the length of the school since spring of freshmen year. I had originally joined Track to prove to myself that I was capable, that I could run an hour or more a day five times a week. For others, it is not a great feat by any means. They run miles and miles and miles. They run as if that is the only way they can truly breathe. They withstand the pressures of a hard workout, mentally and physically.

But it was too much for me. I ran for three months, never missed more than three days of practice. In that sense, I did accomplish what I had set out to do. But the longer it went on, the more I tortured myself. Mentally, I shut myself down. The thought of running filled me with stomach-clenching dread. The constant knowledge that I would definitely end the day exhausted, out of breath, screaming silently, ate me up inside. I was always the slowest one, always the most unfit. It was my first time exercising like this in my fifteen years of life. I felt it was no excuse, and although there were moments of great joy and even pride, for stepping outside of my comfort zone, I began to hate running. Or the thought of it. Or of anyone telling me to push on, when I felt no inclination to do so.

The only times I felt free and released from these biting worries were the runs I did entirely on my own, by no one’s command. I could be at peace, running at the speed I chose, for whatever distance.

I do miss the feeling of running. I did like some parts of Track. But I can never go back.

There are certain things I must explore on my own. I love dancing. I love moving the way I do, with no boundaries, no lines; only the music to guide me and my soul. If someone told me how to dance, I would feel trapped. If I see and learn for myself, I grow – if the only boundaries are the ones I set for myself. The creativity has to be set loose, I have to run wild.

I do not regret that spring two years ago. I learned a great deal, and I will never forget it. It’s not that I don’t want to improve or sweat or gasp for breath. I do want to enjoy running. For me, Track is not the place. And it’s only now that I realize – it is ok. It is ok not to be athletic, to not join a team. It is ok to run slowly, or at a fast pace. It is ok to just run.

I find it hard to take the initiative. It will be hard to do so every day. But I also know that I feel a deep sense of longing whenever I see runners dash toward the morning sun. I continue to imagine myself running… I know I will find the courage one day. Not only to run but let myself love it and embrace every step, every breath, every sweat, every smile.