Bro Codes | Teen Ink

Bro Codes

By MyronM BRONZE, Clear Lake, Wisconsin
MyronM BRONZE, Clear Lake, Wisconsin

Bro Codes, the unwritten guidelines establish how men should act around their fellow bros.  Simple concepts of these codes such as urinal etiquette begin at a very young age but become more extensive as a boy matures.  Through life experiences, a man will begin to compile these codes, slowly molding them self into the ultimate bro.  Sadly, some men simply don’t latch on to these implied codes, meaning they go through every friendship naively breaking more bro codes than they can count.  In order to insure you are going about your daily life appropriately as a bro, it is highly suggested that you enlighten yourself with as many bro codes as humanly possible. 

Starting simple is the bro code for urinal etiquette.  One urinal buffer MINIMUM is required, along with absolutely NO eye contact, and zero conversation.  Inexperienced urinal-goers may think the silence makes for more awkwardness and that a quick chat about the weather may lighten the atmosphere, but conversation simply leads to physically paining eye contact.  It is acceptable to use one of the buffer urinals, but only if there is no other option.  Although these regulations are very rudimentary, some men cannot absorb simple codes through their dense skulls. 

For you emotionally sensitive guys out there, this next code may be a difficult one to swallow.  Men don’t take back or apologize to their bros.  For instance, if two bros develop a dispute and one of them says something out of line, the other shall not expect him to take back the remark.  Behavior such as this is exhibited in weak friendships, meaning that if a bro is asking you for an apology, he in fact is not a true bro.  When the situation arises where a bro does cross the line with a comment, solving the dispute is as simple as ignoring one another until it’s forgotten. 

The next code is on the topic of dares, and is imperative to follow during bro hangouts.  Stated simply, a bro is not allowed to dare someone to do something that he wouldn’t do himself.  If a dare is turned down by a bro, whomever set the dare must complete it himself before any ridicule is allowed upon the person who rejected it.  This code ensures that a bro can take what he is dishing out, and keeps the long lasting tradition of challenging other bros both fair and antagonizing.  Although this is one of the less known codes, it’s just as important as all the others, and should be followed to the same extent. 

The predicament in which you can only bring along one bro to something epic has always been seen as a problem in society.  Although uneducated bros may feel stressed about picking who to take with them, a seasoned bro will know what actions to take immediately. Instead of exhibiting favoritism by choosing the attendee himself, all bros involved are offered an invitation to compete in a challenge in order to earn the privilege.  Not only does this cut out on all intolerable bro drama, it also can be extremely amusing depending on the challenge chosen. This code applies to every situation that could exhibit any form of favoritism, ranging from who gets the last seat in a car, to who will receive the last remaining concert ticket.

Now that you are informed on the most essential bro codes, it is your duty to spread these codes with your group of bros. Get them informed, and begin applying these to your life.  When you see a fellow bro that obviously doesn’t understand any of these codes, make sure to take some time to educate them. If you feel as if doing that would be awkward, then read up more on bro code because you obviously have a lot more to learn about a genuine bro’s behavior. Just remember, time spent with bros will be some of the best times of your life, so cherish it.

I wrote this peice for something funny to lighten someones day.