The Crystal Coast | Teen Ink

The Crystal Coast

By BbEeTtHh GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
BbEeTtHh GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

Waves of blue water tumbled over each other creating white sea foam that splashed onto soft beaches blanketing North Carolina’s coast. With each gust of wind, the foam was picked up and slowly dissipated as it glided through salty air. Sunlight reflected off the crystal blue water giving it a majestic glimmer, while violent roars erupted from churning waves, creating unusual peace. The sound seemed to soothe every thought, while the churning of the waves relaxed every muscle. The Crystal Coast of North Carolina was a sanctuary amidst the powerful waves.

As I walked parallel to the shoreline, smooth sand caressed my feet while warm waves swelled up to my ankles then, slowly, gracefully receded leaving behind beautiful shells of every color. Humid air drifted up my nose bombarding me with traces of hamburgers, hotdogs, and steaks simmering with The Fourth of July spirit. Quarantined sections of beach were looked upon with expectancy as the red, white, and blue fireworks slept in the sand, soon to explode with patriotism high in the sky. Playful dogs barked at their sun kissed owners in the background while I soaked up the sounds of the Crystal Coast hours before The Fourth of July. I felt isolated from hazardous society; protected by gritty sand and thrashing waves.

When I reached one of the taped off sections of beach, I turned toward the water and stood still. My gaze was fixed on the rhythmic cycle of rising and receding waves; my mind went blank as I grasped that I was meant to be on the coast. After all, the only thing that could truly calm me was the ocean. Standing on the shore, I realized with tranquility that the only place I would be at peace was on The Crystal Coast.

Going to North Carolina was inspirational! Everything about The Crystal Coast was amazing.