Magnifying Glass | Teen Ink

Magnifying Glass

PhilosophersandCheese BRONZE, Cupertino,

"Being crazy isn't enough"
- Dr. Seuss

At times I feel reluctant to work my shift at the hospital. My hesitations do not arise from laziness or a lack of selflessness, but from the fact that I do not feel helpful there. Does filing papers, changing schedules, and restocking gloves seem life altering and rewarding?
     Not really.
     I believe many of my fellow hospital volunteers feel the same way. A frequent complaint at the annual volunteer conference is “not enough work” or “nothing to do after duties are completed”
More often than not, we find ourselves sitting at the empty desk in the lobby, staring at the door, willing someone to come bringing flowers we could deliver or asking to be directed to a patient room. At least then, we would feel helpful.
     We all sign up for similar reasons, most common of which is that we want to help people, impact their lives, and feel as if we are one step closer to fulfilling our purpose. More often than not, our tasks do not carry the level of importance to make us feel that way.
      At times I wonder if it is really worth it, to work at the local hospital instead of going to some third world country and help build orphanages and schools. But then I remember those moments that feel inconsequential to me but significant to others such as when I bring large carts of trays to patient rooms or finish preparing the hand towels. Even though tasks like these are just part of my duties, the relieved look on the face of a tired nurse and the earnest “thank you so much” fill the tasks with meaning and give me that rewarding feeling that I crave so   much.
     Sometimes, when performing community service, the task of the servicer is relatively small, but the person it touches sees it through the magnifying glass.

on Aug. 1 2015 at 11:32 am
Nice article