We're Chased, So We Run | Teen Ink

We're Chased, So We Run

By izzyz SILVER, Vienna, Other
izzyz SILVER, Vienna, Other

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable and to give an appearance of of solidity to pure wind." George Owell

Darkness. Long jeans. Wide jackets. Locks of blonde hair. Rapid English.
All these things triggered one event.
“Hey little cute girls, don’t you want to come upstairs with us?”
We looked confused as he spoke and I could smell the cigarettes in his breathe.
Quickly, we walked by and as soon as we were out of his sight, the breath we had been holding in was exhaled in a relieved sigh. But that wasn’t all. Nearly at her house, another man called us “honey” while two said “beauty”.
These events triggered the most hated emotion in my brain: FEAR.
It wasn’t even late at night. We were outside at six o’clock and we were walking home. Men talked to us and whistled at us like we were mannequins in a store. It scared me how close they were and that we were alone. Although it was a highly populated street I felt lost and afraid that no one would help us if something happened.
We quickened our pace and hurried home, only then did we dare breathe again.
I exhaled and inhaled quickly as if I had just run a marathon. In my mind I had. I had run away from fear.
It took all my strength to not feel a huge hatred to the world we live in. I’m scared to walk alone, I’m scared to go shopping alone, and even when I’m with friends, I’m scared. I’m scared of the people who come to close or who talk to us. This is what our world caused me to think.
And all it has given me were two options.
1.Go outside and run from fear.
2.Or stay inside and hide from fear.