The College Experience | Teen Ink

The College Experience

May 10, 2015
By Alawicious GOLD, Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Alawicious GOLD, Emerald Isle, North Carolina
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I am confused by life, but I feel safe within the confines of the theater.


College. A scary and exciting place. Filled with people of different races, nationalites, opinions, and backgrounds. It wasn't always scary, and isn't scary to me anymore. In fact, it is fun and new. When I first came to college, I was scared of leaving my family and my whole life behind. I was misguided. Going to college became a part of my life, and I was just adding to my old life. On my first day of school, I did everything that a college student could do wrong. I didn't look for my classes before the first day so I had to ask random people where this classroom was, or where this building was on campus. I ended up skpping my last class, not because I just didn't want to go, but because I couldn't find where it was. After calling my mom, crying about not being able to find the classroom, I headed back to my dorm and talked to the advisor to ask for where the room was. She was a big help. I emailed the teacher and told him the situation. He was understanding but still told me that my missing the first day of class counted as an absence. That's college for you. Things got better after that, thankfully, and I was able to find my classes without looking at my schedule. 

 

I met so many new people when I went to college. I made friends that I hope will be friends with me for a long time. I tried new things, I went to restaurants I had never been to before. I learned my was around the city that I was going to be in for at least another three years. It was amazing. I made grades that many freshman can't, made it on the deans list, and got into an honors society for my great grades. I enjoyed watching netflix originals with my friends on friday nights and enjoying freshly made fudge brownies to share. I learned what shower and sink had the best water pressure and that the toilet paper was so thin and tore easily that I began to miss the toilet paper that I had grown up using. I met people of different sexual orientations, which was okay by me because those people turned out to be the most fun to be around. I especially learned how to budget my money and I found places that delivered to the dorm, which made up for having to eat at the cafeteria.

 

Things weren't always great at college.Being a Music Eduaction major was difficult. There were times when I didn't want to go to class or when I just wanted to sleep in and rest becasue I stayed up late the night before. There were times when I wanted to yell at my roommate in the morning for not knowing how to be quiet. Living with a roommate is all about compromise. If the internet connection was bad, which is usually was, we had to decide who got to use the ethernet cable to make the wifi quicker and more effective. When someone wanted to call their mom at 11:30 at night and stay on the phone for an hour, we had to talk about how that wasn't an okay thing to do because the other person had to get up early in the morning for an eight o'clock class. Compromise. 

 

With all the bad things, good things came to. College is all about the experience. I experienced a lot. During the times when exams and papers were piling up, I was happy to call my mom and rant about all my issues. My mom made living at college manageable. After getting all my problems and worries off my chest, I was able to sit down with a clear brain and enjoy what a privaledge I was given. 


The author's comments:

I am writing this after I just finished my first year of college. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to write this.