Not an Ordinary Day of Driving | Teen Ink

Not an Ordinary Day of Driving

By juwia SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
juwia SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I gripped the steering wheel tightly, as I looked into the rear view mirror to see about three people riding very closely behind. My dad murmured words to himself, angered about how rude the people were being. “This is how people at Delaware Park always are” he said angrily, before muttering a few inappropriate words to himself. I made another turn, thankfully getting away from those cars causing me to feel a great wave of relief. Here came the hardest part though, reverse parking.

I always seemed to mess up at this, every single time. Either I was about to hit the car I was reversing into or half of the car was completely over the line. I had started to back up into the spot, when I heard my dad start to raise his voice and tell me to turn the wheel a bit more right. I sighed and turned up the radio a bit to calm me down before driving forward then retrying again. Today had definitely not been my day. Each time I went in reverse, I got a little bit more aggravated until finally I told my dad to let me try on my own. I let him get out of the car before driving around the parking lot again, and still managing to fail.
I parked normally in the spot before putting my head in my hand and sitting there, frustrated. Little did I know, the next few words my dad said would impact my life greatly. “Julia! There’s kittens!” I heard him yell. My head popped right up even just by the word ‘kitten’. I turned off the car, grabbed my phone, and ran over to the thorn bush that my dad had been at. My eyes lit up at the sight of five little adorable, blue eyed kittens sitting inside the bush. I reached over to pet one of the grays ones, and to my surprise, he hissed and backed away. This seemed to be the case for almost all of them, until I went to pet the one with the prettiest markings.
I begged my dad to let me take that one home, but my dad didn’t seem to budge. The cat surprisingly let me hold him, and for some reason, this seemed to convince my dad to leave the situation of bringing the cat home as a ‘maybe’, which was good enough for me.
We went home for dinner and the only thing that was on my mind were those little kittens. I kept posting pictures of them on the Instagram, and when my sister took me to get ice cream, its all I really talked about. When I finally got home around 8, it was dark outside and my dad wasn’t very enthusiastic about it for that reason. I had still managed to convince him to take me, but as I arrived back at that same spot, my heart sunk. Where were the kittens?
My dad and I walked around the bushes for about ten minutes with flashlights, getting pricked by the thorns just to see if they were inside. I sat down on the ledge, nearly about to cry. I figured this was it. I finally was about to get a cat, like I had wanted to for so long, and it wasn’t going to happen.  That’s what I had thought until I had heard my dad yell my name again. I ran over as fast as I could, seeing that the only kitten that had come back out for us was the one I picked up originally and we had wanted all along. It had to be fate.
That day started off like any other frustrating driving day, but ended by me getting a cat that every day has managed to bring a smile to my face. I’ve had my cat for about a year and a month now, and every day I love him even more. I’m glad I went driving that day because if not I wouldn’t have gotten to meet my lovely cat, Skylar.

on Nov. 3 2014 at 7:44 am
casertam721 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not -Kurt Cobain

Indeed*... btw im obsessed with kitty cats, they go meow  

on Nov. 3 2014 at 7:43 am

indedd casertam721, it is very cool, very nice, and i do like it as well.  

Very cool, very nice, i like it