Yeah, I'm Gay, So What? | Teen Ink

Yeah, I'm Gay, So What?

September 17, 2014
By BrandonT GOLD, West Newton, Pennsylvania
BrandonT GOLD, West Newton, Pennsylvania
10 articles 2 photos 8 comments

Hi, I'm gay, and there's nothing wrong with it. I can go on about how over 1500 animal species display homosexual behavior, or how it's at least proven that being gay is not a choice, but I'd rather convey a personal account. I first noticed that I liked boys around 12, but didn't come out as "bisexual" until the age of 14. That was probably the worst year to come out because that is when my depression hit. It was hard, but I persevered. When I was 15 I realized I was gay and was happy, even though I was called a f*g a lot. Then I tried to deny it and went off on a dating spree with different girls. None of them worked out. My last girlfriend was actually my best friend a long time before we started dating and it was my longest relationship. Sadly that is when I realized I'm not going to be happy if I lie to myself, so I ended the relationship... It all was horrible, her parents hated me, they kicked me out, but we are still friends even though it will probably never be the same. The the theme of the story is: BE TRUE TO YOURSELF. Now that I'm single and true to myself, I feel free! Not because she was a terrible, unloving girlfriend, I would like to make it clear she was the opposite and the most caring and faithful girl I know, but because I wasn't in love, I just loved her like a sister. You can't fall in love with someone you're not attracted to them, at least from my experience. If you have the re-accuring thought that you're gay, you probably are, if you feel attracted to both genders then you're probably bisexual. Just remember, no matter who you are attracted to, you are still human and love is love!


The author's comments:

I wanted to write this for anyone who is having confused feelings, to show them there will be some hardships, but in the end it's easier to face them when you are true to yourself and happy.