Secretly In Love | Teen Ink

Secretly In Love

By shortney GOLD, Vernon, Connecticut
shortney GOLD, Vernon, Connecticut

"Happiness is choice. yeah, things in life make it difficult, but at the end of the day you control your own happiness."

Grant,

I have been staring at this blank sheet of paper thinking of the ways I can accurately start this letter for the past twenty minutes. Then it hit me, there is no correct way to start anything. If the words I am saying are true then that in itself is the perfect beginning.

I am typing these words in ink because ink symbolizes permanence and one day ten years from now I hope you stumble across this letter and I hope you will say Courtney yeah, I remember her.

Before, we part our ways and go to colleges that are in two separate parts of New England there are some things you should know. Even on paper stating the truth doesn't get easier. I've learned a lot this past year one of the more important things I have learned is too step out of my comfort zone. This year has been dedicated too that. Why else would I go on all of those carnival rides with you this past summer?? The reason for that is because I want to become the best version of myself. I also had a huge crush on you, but that should have been obvious.

I hope Kelly doesn't snatch your mail or she would kill us both, at the current moment I’m not too worried. Saying what I need to say will never get easier, I will say this though on July twenty ninth one day after my eighteenth birthday. I received a text from you at around twelve in the afternoon. I was going on my fifteenth hour in the car driving home from Canada so I was a little on edge. In the text you exclaimed long distance relationships don’t work, to that I said I agreed. I didn't, I lied.

If I can believe Santa Claus still comes to my house and leaves presents under the Christmas tree on Christmas. I can also believe long distance relationships work. Everyone says “what’s meant to be will be.” When I ponder about this it brings thoughts of the future. Like you have said one million times things will get better. Thank you for believing in me. You once told me your favorite line of inspiration was the serenity prayer:

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, Wisdom to know the difference.”

It is my favorite as well I don’t know when I will see you again. After reading this letter I would hope you would pay me a visit in the hippie town of Salem. I’m kidding……. Sorta. I hope you waited to open this letter like I told you. If not good luck to the first hipster I have ever met I will miss you so very much.