A Thank-You Note to Bruce Springsteen | Teen Ink

A Thank-You Note to Bruce Springsteen

By AislinnBluejay GOLD, Sag Harbor, New York
AislinnBluejay GOLD, Sag Harbor, New York

"I did not ask for the life which has been given to me, but it was given nonetheless. And with it, I have done my best."--Ekho, from Lost

I spent my adolescence in a perpetual bout of yearning. Yearning is sour, yet this was beautiful, glorious in the way that the Promised Land would be. It was hunger for which bread was not enough, alternatively the source of my joy and my loneliness. Thank you for letting me see, in your own oblivious way, that I was not alone in this respect---that far from shutting me out, from keeping me on the wrong side of the window as I had always been, the world was waiting for me. It yearned for me as I yearned for it. The love of life, the love of everything now and everything to come, was my first romance.
Keep me among your many casualties. Plenty will testify to this effect, saying that you changed their lives. But I don’t think you changed my life. My life was always there, is an unmoveable entity in itself, but if anyone changed it, it was me. You weren’t even there, of course. But your words were.
And for that, I'd like to thank you.

I have always been inspired by the music of Bruce Springsteen and thought I should write something about how awesome it was. So I wrote this.