One Person | Teen Ink

One Person

By iBunty SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
iBunty SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

There is one person in this world right now that I really like. This one person, that I find inspiration in, that I look up to. This person has taught me many things about life without even actually teaching me anything at all. Simply by being around him, I was shaped up to be the person I am today. I don’t think I would be what I am at all if it wasn’t for him. In fact, I don’t think I can really live long without him. He is almost my other half. We are inseparable. This person happens to be my brother, Saadat.

My brother and I, we get along pretty well. Ever since my birth, he was given the job to look after me, essentially, or so he says. Of course, my parents were both there to do most of the work of raising a child, but once I got into elementary school, my school work was supervised by my brother. Math is my weakest, so he would have to basically teach me everything I already learned that day, but better.

School isn’t the only thing he helps me in, though. Others may not see this as helping, but just his opinions on things and how he saw the world definitely affected me. He didn’t think bad of things, so my parents were fine with what he would pass onto me. My brother is a very logical person, so it is very difficult to argue with him, because the points he makes, regardless of the topic, would always seem right. And they were. Even to this day, he would always dumb me down whenever we get in an argument, and we get in arguments quite often.
Sometimes I wonder how we even get along, because we don’t have much in common, or anything at all. Our taste in food is probably the only thing that we have in common. Other than that, we are two very different people. He was mostly raised in Bangladesh. He finished high school here in America. But I was here since the beginning of elementary school. Our age difference is a bit much too, maybe 6 or 7 years. I don’t exactly remember his year, I know I am a bad little brother.

Having an older brother is one of the best things and one of the worst things in life. Being older, of course, he was the brighter student in school. He would be the first in all his classes. But I never saw him do any work. He would come home and literally sit in front of the computer for hours. I have never seen him open up his bag to do homework or anything. He apparently would do all his homework during class or in study hall. All our relatives were always impressed by him and would admire him. Of course, naturally, they would then look at me and ask if I will be like him, academically. I never was, and never will be. He simply is the better child, in every way. He was a lot more active when he was my age, and would go out to play sports a lot more too. That is most likely because he was raised more by my parents, who were more strict.

Nevertheless, he is my older brother. He is always there when I need him, supporting me. He would even sometimes take blame for something I did wrong, and I am very grateful for that. Usually, he would get yelled at anyways for anything I did wrong. My parents never confronted me with anything, always leaving it up to my brother to do what he thinks is best. I guess I am supposed to learn from the best. The best brother. My brother.

My brother is one of the most important people in my life.