In Between the Lines | Teen Ink

In Between the Lines

November 26, 2013
By Opticalillusion DIAMOND, Edenton, North Carolina
Opticalillusion DIAMOND, Edenton, North Carolina
64 articles 13 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am an artist bound only for the poet's glory....But only achieve half of the success that my dreams aspire to find, And to what do the whispers tell me of this failure...To what end to they haunt my nightmares...my eternal dark dreams...


My hands began to wobble, Anxiety began to envelop me, I tapped my pencil on the desk and I pondered with thoughts. What to write, What to write? Nothing, not even the slightest spark came to me! Where has it gone, oh woe, my creativity has vanished! Am I an artist no more! I have been struck by the burdens of age! The tapping becoming louder and louder with each and every thought that I developed and then lossed to my own burden. The tapping unceasing,Oh no not even by one beat! By this point I feel the eyes of my inferior peers strangling me, should I have looked up only to see their horrid faces. Judging me! Mocking me! I heard the bell ring but I was in agony, has the beasts ran out the gates. I remained seated for a moment… or two, Merely thinking of my endeavor. I walked to third period, still in such subtle dismay. I walked through the gate, and I grabbed my calculator. The class (Usual I Must Imply) Ignorantly were roaring back and forth across the classroom. I sat in my assigned seat although the environment was a hell on earth, I attempted once more to write. I pulled out my paper, And my pencil once more and once again I pondered in dense thought. I pondered as the teacher lectured, even as she taught about the senseless algebraic equations I pondered in my diminishing imagination. Once more I tapped my pencil, My anxiety was only replaced with fear for what I might have lost. The teacher (a bit bothered) put her hand on my desk and told me to stop daydreaming. Oh just the thought angered me! Daydreaming! Only if I could still have such pleasures! As the class returned to roaring I returned to the depth of thoughts. Still nothing came, The white of the lines in between the paper made me feel so...dead inside. So many possibilities but nothing came to my mind! The one thing I never wanted has come to pass! As the teacher droned on mathematics (something I never truly understood but I have come to know its importance indefinitely) I was tortured by the distraction! The distraction of wanting to write using creativity! But my mind forbaded it! The riddles that hid in the lines, Were the only things I wanted to find! I could only stare at the paper, I stared even though I was supposed to take notes (Probably should have.) I stared even when I was supposed to do work! (Definitely should have) The clock was watching me, The clock hated me so. I could have sworn that I was only in there for ten maybe fifteen minutes but the next time I raised my head and gazed upon the clock, I was in a horrid shock to find out It was a whole hour! wasted due to my foul distraction. Only seven minutes were left, and already the beasts gathered at the gates. It is amazing how they segregated themselves by their species. How their ancestors fought for integration but now they segregate socially. I moved towards the front so I could get my food first, Then the lunch bell rang. I was trampled by the stampede of a thousand mules and monkeys! I bested them though, Like a rat, I scurried through the cracks in their formations. I managed to get my tray, The look on their faces filled with drool and eyes in a daze. I despised that place, it was the filthiest and the foulest in all of that wretched zoo! ( Aside from the restrooms of course.) The pigpen was filled with Gorillas who fought for female attention, Meerkats who hid from the lions, and songbirds who gossiped to one another. Even when the beasts had their food they continued to roar to one another across the pigpen! I couldn't help but leave. I left to the library, where one could eat in a eloquent silence. But still the paper it called me, the pencil it instigated me! I could only answer! In the library I found peace but still I couldn't decipher the code that laid in between the lines! I heard a voice over at the table beside me. “Anyone in here have paper?” I hesitated at first but then I looked once more at the white paper. It an act of giving up I gave the paper to the girl in the next table. She then made a remark that I will admit put me into a state of shock or a type of anger, Unsure at the time. “Is this some kind of joke” she said looking at the paper “I can’t use this the page is full!” I looked at her with question, then snatched it back and stared. I stared and stared thinking that it was maybe an attempt at being humorous or what not. Oh inside I knew better, I only saw the white of the paper. The bell rang, But the shock stalled my movements, I was motionless.When I was finally unfrozen from my paralytic state I then walked to my fourth class. I walked up to the teacher, and asked her to merely confirm. “Mam do you see words!” I asked in a loud yell hoping for it not to be true! She stared at the paper and laughed then looked back and me and realized I wasn't kidding. “Yes why?” she said, I felt weak. I stared at the paper, I gazed upon it, and all I saw was only the white In between the lines…


The author's comments:
A nice little two page Note of my daily life and my burden coming with age.