Rise Up | Teen Ink

Rise Up

By Nichole Dahmer BRONZE, Royse City, Texas
Nichole Dahmer BRONZE, Royse City, Texas

When you think of a Mission Trip, what do you think of? That’s right: Community service, helping others, and impacting lives. You throw off everything that hinders you, and you run the race that’s been set out for you, constantly pouring into others, that you don’t realize how much it’s changing you. You hear the stories from devastated children, teens, and adults, about how they’ve been abused and worse by their family members that they thought they could trust, and that humbles you. You quickly remind yourself how great you have it with a loving, caring, non-abusive family. The people tell you about how they ran away from their abusive families, and halfway starved, when one of your own team members picked them up, dusted them off and gave them a spark, a hope. A hope, that someone out there is caring about them, someone who doesn't even know them, cares. And, that is what makes you humbled to be in the place you are now, pouring into others. So, humble yourself and go pour into others. Rise up.

I went on a mission trip, and this constantly occurring theme kept coming up, and it was, hope. And, I thought that maybe if everyone gave one person some hope every day that the world we would be living in would be a whole lot better. So, I wrote this to maybe inspire some hope to people.