Dive Deeper | Teen Ink

Dive Deeper

May 6, 2013
By cgauvin BRONZE, Coronado, California
cgauvin BRONZE, Coronado, California
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
yeah


I couldn't describe the sky to its exact arrangement of colors this morning. It was grey enough to tell that it was still early in the morning, but slightly orange enough to tell that today was going to be sunny. As I hopped on my bike as quietly as I possibly could, I rode into the chilly air just in time to see the sunrise outside of my garage. I put one ear bud in and just pressed play as I rode. Where Did Your Heart Go Missing by Rooney was the first song that was on shuffle; not my first choice, but it seemed to fit my mood. I was in an over-sized Billabong t-shirt that I bought at the local retail shop. It was big, loose, thin, and most likely a men’s shirt. That morning when I was on my to north beach I couldn't help but notice little things. I saw a scrap of paper on the street being restricted by crack of dry tar in the middle of the road; holding it back, the paper struggled to get out of the grasp of the pavement until the wind just gave up and the trash lied there. When I had to stop because the light was red I noticed how I waited for what seemed to be 3 minutes for no passing cars to go by, and I wondered why I didn't just go but I didn't. I looked down to the empty, silent road and saw moving grains of sand and I began to miss the beach. It had been about 24 hours since I was at the beach last, but I missed it already. Every morning is special to me because I spend every morning doing the same thing differently. Anyways, I slid my bike through the cold, glassy bike racks. I didn't bother locking it because, just like every other morning, I was the only one on the beach. In just my bikini, I ran into the water. I felt like the air was lifting me and making me faster, even though my feet sank into the soft sand with every step I took. Shivers ran up to my lungs and back down to my toes as I took my first step in the water. I knew if I waded into the water I wouldn't be able to force my body into it. So I ran hard enough to break a sweat and I ran far enough so that my hips were underwater. Before the charging and dangerous white wash could hit me, I dove under the surface. I immediately forget everything and anything that was on my mind. I opened my eyes and I felt like I was in my own little world. The underwater currents had no effect on me, and I just floated in between the sandy bottom and the icy surface of the deep blue terrain. All the control was in my hands. I took a quick breath and dove ten feet further. I opened my eyes and the water turned crystal clear. I could even see my small and purple pinky toe coated with glossy purple nail polish which sparkled with the magic water. I forgot about the temperature and tried to take in all the good of the world through a single breath.


The author's comments:
i was inspired when i was reminiscing early summer mornings with my best friend running into the water for some sunrise body surfing