Dear Parents... | Teen Ink

Dear Parents...

April 9, 2013
By MillieKae GOLD, McCook, Nebraska
MillieKae GOLD, McCook, Nebraska
14 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I step into the great unknown, the ball and chain I call my own."
-Sublime "Ball and Chain"


I don’t think you completely understand the situation that I’m in. Yes, I got pregnant at 15 and had a baby when I was 16, but that doesn’t change anything. You treat me different that when I wasn’t pregnant. You treat me like I don’t know what I am doing with Cora and that I don’t have any motivation to do anything. I think you are afraid to let me go. I understand that I am young, but I plan to spend my life with Dan and I don’t think that is such a bad thing. He is a wonderful father and he treats me right, unlike my boyfriends in the past. He has done nothing wrong, other than getting me pregnant, and you should just accept that he is going to be in my life for the rest of time. He isn’t a bad person. He has made mistakes, but he is a good guy. You just have to get to know him and stop judging him off of his past. He has changed. Now, the rule you have with me not moving out is ridiculous. I know I am young and I’m still in high school, but it would be so much easier on me and it would be better for Cora to be around her dad more. I think you are afraid that if I do move out you won’t see me succeed in life. That isn’t what would happen. If I moved out, I would still have the same goals I have now. I would still finish high school and I would still go to college to become what I want to become. Money is something else you would be worried about. I know that living with you gives me free insurance, rent, etc., but it doesn’t mean I’m happy. I am happy you have helped me this far, but living with Dan would be better for both Cora and I. I would have help at night with her and I would be happy. For the insurance and the money issue, I would simply get a job. I wouldn’t get one that would take up all my time, but just a simple part time job. Plus, where Dan is living, it allows his rent to go down if Cora and I moved in with him. I mean we would have to add on doctor bills and such, but that wouldn’t be much if we go on medic-aide. We could also go on WIC and it would help buy us formula and diapers. I think you are just afraid to let me go. You think that me being young and having a baby is something you should take care of on your own. You think it was your fault and now you are trying to make it up by keeping my curfew at 9:00 and trying to cut Dan out of my life completely. The thing you don’t completely understand is that I want to live with Dan and I would be so much happier. I am happy with what you guys have helped me with, but I, myself, am not happy. I can’t take the way you treat me and the way you act around me. You act like I have completely screwed up my life, but the truth of it is, I have just made it so much more fun. Cora has made my life ten times better than I ever thought it could be. I never realized it, but having a kid makes me actually enjoy life, but living with you only cancels out the happiness I get when I’m with Dan and Winrey. Dan and I are ready to start our life as a family, you just won’t let us.


The author's comments:
~Things will eventually get better~