The Number One Lesson Learned from the Third World | Teen Ink

The Number One Lesson Learned from the Third World

By elisesudlow BRONZE, San Jose, California
elisesudlow BRONZE, San Jose, California

A young woman is walking around the streets of a small village in El Salvador. She notices the beautiful scenery: the birds, the wild dogs and chickens that run through the street so nonchalantly, and the pure sense of unity around her—She wishes that everyone could see Guarjila as she is. As she returns to her friends and the young villagers, she sees the connection forged after just a few days. Although the American students speak Spanish, there is still an obvious language barrier; however, the spirit of each young individual transcends this invisible divide. The high school students play with the children, their warmth as strong as the country’s summer sun. As she gazes on at the rainforest, the woman has a moment of introspection—how have these genuine, peaceful people not yet received help to emerge from their overwhelming poverty? She observes the beauty around her and begins to wonder why so many others cannot strike a similar balance.

She blinks. She has returned to America, amidst the hustle and bustle, back in the throws of a life where it seems that very few are aware of the intense suffering happening daily. She hears a news program in the background; newscasters argue whether President Obama has done enough for Americans, rather than throwing funds at foreign endeavors. Now, she sees this divisive issue in a new light.

America should prioritize welfare of people in other countries as they do protecting American citizens because all people intrinsically possess equal worth. The message is ubiquitous: Protect your own first. As I immersed myself into the culture, I began to ask myself: Who is “your own,” really? Presumably, this refers to a sense of nationalism—the idea that America should help Americans. I think that protecting citizens is important, and I understand the concept of a nation’s unity. We must ask, however, if we are willing to ignore the dire need of the rest of the world.

Our host families in Guarjila became like a second family to us, making us a part of the community immediately. The Salvadorans understand that we are all united, though borders may divide us, and that each human in need should be the priority to all others. There, I learned more about human goodness than I have ever learned in a classroom, and those with almost nothing ended up helping a young woman who, in their eyes, has everything. While a decent portion of American money should support Americans in need, a large portion should help countries in the developing world such as El Salvador. America, as the world’s leading nation, has more potential to create change than any other. Like a match to a flame, America has the ability to ignite widespread collaboration among nations. We must recognize that we can learn from each other: As El Salvador has much to teach America about solidarity and strength in the face of terrible adversity, America has sound advice to lend on how to build a strong economy.

As mutual relationships grow, all countries begin to benefit from one act of goodwill. America must acknowledge that the life of a young American girl has the same worth as the life of a young Salvadoran girl. The importance of life, as an American value, should compel America to be instrumental in the effort to reach across borders to developing countries in need. While this may not single handedly create world peace, it will undoubtedly encourage communication and a higher concentration toward cooperative efforts.

I wrote this piece after I traveled to El Salvador for an immersion trip. It was an unbelievable experience and I only wish everyone could have one like it.