Just Me | Teen Ink

Just Me

January 18, 2013
By Anonymous

My mother always told me to be myself. That if anything I could do right in the world, it would be that. I’m glad that was one lesson I learned to be true. I’m glad I’m not like the people who are considered “normal”, that I am a drifter. The reason for that is, I do not have their constant fears.

“Normal” people have multiple, constant worries that a drifter like me would never even think of. Getting old, wrinkles, smile lines, curly out-of-place hair, freckles, pimples. The list is forever long. My theory is why think about the unavoidable. Also they worry about latest styles and looks, body shapes, and shoes, where a person like me would say “better then being naked.”

Where I look at fun as diving into a mud puddle and playing football, others see spending money and time on products that say they will make you better. Where I try to spend every waking moment with people that matter, they rather be with wannabe’s and clones. Where I try to live every second to the fullest, they spend every second trying not to step out of line.

People like me can think about important things, like school, because our minds aren’t clouded with the “how to’s” on being a clone. Where they worry about how to act like others, we worry about making our family happy. Where they worry about not wearing the same clothes as others, we worry about future plans. Where they worry about not having enough time in the day to “shop till they drop”, we worry about not getting things done that could effect school, work, or home life.

So come one, come all! Be yourself, there is no one better. Why worry your life away? Spend it having fun. You will always have a friend for being yourself. Instead of people who pretend to be, and can instantly turn against you. Be yourself, and you will be amazed at how you feel. There is nothing like being free, by being you.