High School Sweethearts | Teen Ink

High School Sweethearts

By asandraf SILVER, Pasco, Washington
asandraf SILVER, Pasco, Washington

Being in love in high school doesn’t sound very realistic, but it can happen. It happened to me. His name is Aspen Neil. I met him for the first time in the third grade; we were in Mrs. Dunbar’s class together in elementary school. I don’t remember much from way back then, but I do remember being so heartbroken because he had a girlfriend at that time, and they seemed so right together. Of all the crushes I’ve had in my lifetime, I remembered him the most, he was the first guy that ever gave me butterflies in my stomach.

7 years later, when I was a sophomore in high school, I was checking my Facebook like I always did in my 3rd hour class. My teacher was talking away about irrelevant topics. When I got on, I noticed that I had a new friend request. “Aspen would like to add you as a friend”, immediately I showed my friend Ansley sitting next to me. She happened to be in our third grade class as well. I was shocked, but of course, I accepted it. I went through and looked at all his pictures, and wow, he was very good looking. I made a decision to message him and ask to make sure he was the same guy I remembered from elementary school. “Hey, I know this may sound weird, but were you in my third grade class with Mrs. Dunbar? :)”.

Within the next five minutes I got a reply, I was nervous to open it, did I just embarrass myself? Does he think I’m a creep? Those questions were running through my mind as I opened the message. It read “Yes I was :) that’s why I added you, I was afraid you wouldn’t know who I was though lol” I got the biggest smile on my face, he remembered me! We continued talking about life since the third grade; he ended up giving me his number and asking me to text him.

After a week of texting and flirting, he asked me if I could meet up with him, he wanted to get to know me in person as well. I was really nervous to meet him, but excited at the same time. That Saturday felt like the longest day of work, I was anxious for my shift to end so I could go hang out with him. After work, I called him to come pick me up. We went and got coffee and talked. He kept telling me how much he liked me.

After he took me home that day, we set a time when we would see each other again, we started hanging out frequently, and I really started to become addicted to him, so to speak. I found myself never wanting to leave him when were together, and wanting to be with him constantly when we were apart. After about a month of being around him so much, it finally happened, he asked me to be his girlfriend on August 8th, 2011.

We’ve now been together for a year and 4 months, and it’s been wonderful! I love every second of being his girlfriend. He treats me better than I’ve ever been treated, and as every girl should be treated. I know it’s not very common for people my age to be in love, and people can try to deny it all they want, but I know that I love him and he loves me.