Saving the World- Teens | Teen Ink

Saving the World- Teens

September 28, 2012
By TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
28 articles 2 photos 33 comments

Saving the World- The Teens

We are the teens. We are the ones who grew up with things like Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. We've always looked for our chance to save the world, seeking to have that life that our favorite fiction always seems to depict. There's only one problem with these pursuits. It never seems like the world needs saving. It never seems like there's even anything we could do to help it. I know that there is more to life than just the daily humdrum. SOmething should be happening for a reason. But when you get into the habit of just waking up, going to school, and putting in your time, you forget about those ideas you had as you were growing up.

I thought I was going to have this chance a couple months ago. I was legitimately afraid for my life over and over again. I, however, could have played a worse role. As an observer, I seemed to just stare out my window at the troubles of others. I didn't know how much this was going to stay with me for the rest of my life.

These were the days of the Waldo Canyon Fires in Colorado. I should explain that I live about fifteen minutes from downtown, and just a few more miles from the mountains. I started the day off normally. I went to the gym with my mother, and had a really good day. I remember that the first song I played that day was With a Little Help from my Friends by the Beatles. How sad that that ended up being forced into truth for so many people. When my workout was over, I ran into my lifelong friend and her sisters. Casually, nonchalantly, we just threw jokes about the fires that were already visible. We laughed about how they were getting worse but, well, they seemed so far away. They couldn't harm us way up there on the mountain top. Now I will look back on those minutes and regret everything I said.

Later, as we were driving home, the clouds were turning orange. There was smoke furling and wrapping about the mountains, blocking them from our view. You could start to see the flames. Even from our house, we could look to the west and see everything being destroyed before our eyes. If we went out on our deck, we could smell the smoke, and feel it stinging the back of our throats. As an asthmatic, I was scared to go outside for too long. Still, we thought, it's too far away. Trees burning on the mountain are no concern to us. How wrong we were.

My sister and I have always had a fairly good bond. There's only a two year gap between us, so we grew up with much of the same things. We loved the same books, and movies, and most things. During this time, we stayed together until the fire was gone. We were convinced that now was our chance. With the skies themselves ablaze, the whole city and surrounding areas began to look like Mordor from Lord of the Rings. We knew that to save the world, you always have to have other people with you. We couldn't leave each other's side. Yet despite our very world turning into Hell, we couldn't do much. We knew that this could be our chance to save the world, but there was nothing we could do. And that is something that I never want anyone to experience ever again. We were helpless to the power of this threat.

In the end, the fires were put out, with the loss of several homes, but virtually no fatalities. My sister and I had learned the value of family. Family, and fear. The thing that I want people to learn from my experiences is not that the world is terrifying and there's nothing you can do. Learn what I learned. Learn that from the influences on our lives, we've always wanted to save the world. And sometimes, it seems like you have a chance. No matter how small, just try. We, as teens, are the future of the world. So don't let it get destroyed before we have the chance to make it amazing.


The author's comments:
This is an actual account of my thoughts and feelings during this time in my life. I was terrified, and figured out that writing about it now, months later, has made it more bearable.