In a Book | Teen Ink

In a Book

By Marmmy GOLD, Park City, Utah
Marmmy GOLD, Park City, Utah

"Disease may weaken the body, and madness may weaken the mind, but nothing destroys the spirit like the lost of truelove."

~Venom by Fiona Paul

In a book I lose myself. I get absorbed, obsessed. No matter what is going on around me, I want to sink into those deep, dark pages. I am consumed by secrets, lies, magic, love, loss, adventure, and drama. It always leaves me yearning for more.

In a book reality goes blank. Nothing else exists except the scene, and the characters, that seem no longer just on a page. Reality is fiction, and fiction is reality. The words become my life. I cry, I scream, I smile with the characters. They’re not just words that make a story, they’re everything.

In a book I am myself. Feeling emotions my life has yet to give. When I read I think ‘this is me’. I no longer have to hide under a fake visage. I can’t be judged or criticized. The pages call to me, beg for me to come. To understand them. They need me to need them, and I do.

Everything comes to life, when the desire in my heart can no longer be denied. When I crack open the spine it is as if the sun has finally come to save a world of darkness. My heart leaps for joy in that moment. It’s the place were I am no longer confused, or depressed. I am happy, and ecstatic. And when I have to close the book it leaves me craving a happily-ever-after.

issy said...
Fantastic!  I love to read also, but could never express it so eloquently.