My First Book. | Teen Ink

My First Book.

By Unusual BRONZE, Griswold, Iowa
Unusual BRONZE, Griswold, Iowa

"Maturity should not be measured in someones age but in the way they act."

For most people the toys they like or remember the most from when they were young are usually dolls, action figures, cars, or a stuffed animal. For me it’s a Harry Potter book. I love reading. I could read all day, but I didn’t always like to read, I even had trouble with it. Harry Potter changed me.

About six years ago, when I was eleven, my dad took me to a Barnes and Noble book store. Back then it looked menacing because I didn’t like being surrounded by books. My dad insisted I take a book home to read and since I couldn’t think of a book in the world I would like to read, he picked it out for me. He handed me a book called, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone. I can remember what I thought when I first held that book, “What the hay? I already watched the movie, what’s the point of reading the book?” But my dad told me that if I was anything like him, I would come to like it.

I decided to start reading it before mom picked me up from his apartment to humor him. I would then throw it away when I got home, but when I got done with the first chapter, I was hooked, I just couldn’t stop reading the book. Mom was astonished with how much time I spent reading Harry Potter. She would look at me as if she was watching our dog give birth to a cat! When I finished the book, I went right up to her and asked when we could get the second book. She laughed and asked if I was serious. I told her that I couldn’t stop now, not before Harry could defeat Voldemort.

So that’s how I got started on my reading frenzy. I’m thankful that my dad made me read that book, even though I was stubborn about it at first. All I needed to help me read better was a book I liked, and now I read every chance I get and it has even helped me in other school subjects. Even though I’ve indulged myself in many books, some that I like more than the Harry Potter series, I will always remember Harry Potter as the one that got me started.