We Aren't Objects | Teen Ink

We Aren't Objects

November 16, 2011
By ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
17 articles 2 photos 5 comments

"Never judge a book by its cover."

We hear this phrase practically everyday, but does anyone actually live by this? Because I, for one, do not.

I do admit, I am partially ashamed that I judge someone before getting to know them. Sometimes I can't help it. Yeah, that's a good excuse...

Oh come on. Don't pretend like you've never judged anyone. EVERYONE judges someone. It's in our human nature to just go ahead and label a person.

I mean, today people don't even consider what the person could be life. They just assume that by their appearance or by the rumors that they're just weird. Yeah, well "Then you assume, you make an ass out of u and me."

So maybe the girl with the pink hair seems a little odd when you first see her. But her real friends know that she is the nicest and funniest girl ever. Yeah, the guy over there has a lot of acne, whether he can help it or not. But really, he is one of the politest guys in the history of guys. That girl with the huge boobs? She also wears a chastity ring and goes to church every Sunday. How about the 16 year-old pregnant girl. She was actually raped. The guy with the scars all over? He's actually been fighting, fighting for us and this beautiful country. And you know what would make it even more beautiful?

If we could all get to know each other first by throwing labels out there.

I challenge all of you out there to go up to someone today you'd NEVER approach because of their appearance, and start a conversation with them. Who knows? You two could have many things in common!

Be a better person. Don't label someone, because they are not an object. They're just like you and me, and I don't know about you, but I sure don't want any labels hanging off of me!