The Cat | Teen Ink

The Cat

By Me.Myself.and.I BRONZE, South Pasadena, California
Me.Myself.and.I BRONZE, South Pasadena, California

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

To the cat I did not know, i will never know. I do not know why I cried, well I cry very easily, a little too easily. Once I tear up, I can not stop. It was like any other night, just driving back from one of my families many outings, when we turned a corner onto a very busy street. It was dark and the only light emitting the darkness were the traffic lights. I stared off into nothingness as I usually do when I think. I did not see the tiny frame of a calico cat until it was too late. "Is that a cat?" "Oh my god!" Then it was over. The screaming I heard did not seem to be my own. Yet I couldn't for some reason close my mouth. Tears were streaming down my cheeks, my eyes as big as the cats before it... well I shall not talk of that dreaded moment, the most horrible I have had in my 13 short years. I should talk, because as I hear, talking cures the soul. I was a mess. My crying turned into screaming as i replayed the image in my head. Watching the cat made me realize that usually people do not cry. When my own dog dies I did not have a screaming fit. I merely took it in as it was said. I feel that seeing the incident makes it so much worse. I actually thought for a split second that the cat had a chance. It was a coward as I watched helplessly from the car. it ran into the street and then back again. Cars stopped as they waited for the cat to either run away afraid or to be a brave buckaroo. Stupid cat was a brave buckaroo and darted. Not quick enough. One car... thud, never stopped. The cat was stuck to the ground, squirming, panicked and then went still. My screaming got louder. Then another car, thud. The cat was no longer a cat. My screaming got even louder, and I swear my tears could make the ocean look like a fool. I cried for the cat I did not know. I will never know.

I was so horrified as I watched this, the only way to make myself recover was to write it down. I cried so hard, for so long it seemed a miracle when I finally stopped. This isn't supposed to be worded well, or a masterpiece, but this was what I feeling and no other words can describe it.

DB123 said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 11:44 am
Your story is moving and very powerful.  I am sure it was a very traumatic event and your writing describes it with so much feeling.  Keep writing and sharing!