Snapshots | Teen Ink

Snapshots

By LiteraryJustice PLATINUM, Alexandria, Virginia
LiteraryJustice PLATINUM, Alexandria, Virginia

It’s one of those nights when I find myself wondering...

How is it possible that someone can change so much...?

I can’t tell you I’ve stopped dwelling on this.

No; sometimes when I let my thoughts wander too far or I’m feeling particularly melancholy, the thoughts will come creeping up on me again. Just because I’ve kicked the habit of being constantly reminded doesn’t mean I don’t sometimes remind myself.

Because I’m looking for something I learned from it all.

Someone always said “things happen for a reason”.

If that’s true, then what was the reason for this? Can I honestly say “I’m glad I met you” with how things turned out in the end?

The end.

What was the point of it all? Or am I just silly to be looking for reason and rhyme in all of this...

Do we have to default to his stupidity again?

I’ll tell you what it’s like to miss a shadow of a person...snapshots of old memories... and a long forgotten dream.

It’s an unbearably empty feeling that you know can never be filled.

It’s an unbearably destructive feeling that you know there is no point in feeling and yet, you can’t help but feel the hurt burning into you...

Because there is no fixing this.

Because there is no making it right.

Sometimes you just have to keep on going and let broken dreams be broken dreams... leave them to rust on the side of the road...

Sometimes, that’s all they are, right? Memories. And they only belong in the past...

But don’t misunderstand me.

There are no words to describe my disappointment. And there are no words that could change my mind.

Yes, I miss you.

But no, you can’t come back.

I’ve learned not to settle for second best.

And one of these days, I’ll stop looking for the ‘rights’ and ‘reason’ and I’ll accept that all I have are snapshots....

Stagnant snapshots of our past.

True life.