Insignifiicant or significant event? | Teen Ink

Insignifiicant or significant event?

February 14, 2011
By ashleyn PLATINUM, Zeeland, Michigan
ashleyn PLATINUM, Zeeland, Michigan
39 articles 2 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't take life to seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyways"-Unknown


It was just an insignificant event to everyone else, but to me it was something more; it was something I'll never forget. It happened at my schools Winterfest dance. I'd always liked this guy, he was really cute with his dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes. His smile was what really got me though, and he was always showing it. He was in the popular crowd of the grade above me and I thought I would never have the chance to be with him.

So on the night of Winterfest I curled my hair and did my make-up and put on my dress, I looked good but I knew others at the dance would look a lot better than I did. I went to my friend's house and hung out and ate pizza and took pictures before the dance started. Everything was happening as usual, like every other dance before had and I'd never expected things to change so fast.

As we arrived at the dance there were few people there. No one was dancing; so my friends and I, being the crazies that we are, decided to head out on the dance floor and we danced wild until eventually everyone around us joined in. I was having fun and jokingly asked my friends younger brother to dance and we talked until the song was done and that was that. Of course I had to joke with my friend about this later.

Later, as I saw there was about a half an hour left of the dance I somehow got the courage to ask that popular guy I liked to dance. I didn't want myself to be nervous so I told myself it was only to make my other friend jealous, because she liked him too. She wasn't there and I thought it would be a funny idea to show her what she was missing. I somehow walked up to him all calmly and confidently and asked him to dance, and he said yes. So we danced to a semi-slow song called Rocketeer. It was really loud in the dance and he was in wrestling and had come to the dance right after their meet and I wanted to know how he did so I asked him. He said he'd won 2 matches and lost 2 matches which I said was ehh kind of a bummer, because I hate it when my soccer team ties because I don't feel accomplished. It seemed that he felt the same way. I then noticed that we had been talking in each other's ears to hear over the music. I kept the conversation going and asked how the team had done, to which he replied 7th place. I was kind of bummed about that but smiled anyways. I noticed that after talking in my ear he was holding me a little closer than normal, and maybe it was just me but I thought he held me a little tighter too. We were sort of hugging yet in the dancing position: circling, with his arms on my waist and mine around his neck and shoulders. I liked that feeling and my heart fluttered. I saw my friends as I was turning and they were trying to say something to me but I couldn't understand. I would talk to them later I thought. Right then I was enjoying the moment...still quite unable to believe that I was dancing with the guy I had liked for almost a year. I had never told anyone about my crush on him, because too many of my friends were already crushing on him and I didn't just want to become like another one of them who gushes about everything he does. I had always kept my crushes secret, not sure who I could really trust to keep them a secret. It felt unusual being held tight against him, unlike dancing with my friend's little brother. I tried to look up to see his face but because we were dancing so close, almost hugging, that I couldn't. I couldn't look at his face but it didn't matter, because I was comfortable in his arms. I felt safe with him. When I had tried to look up at him I got a sudden sniff of his minty breath and realized that he was chewing gum. I could feel him breathing his cool breath on my bare right shoulder. My body tingled. I wanted that moment to last forever, to be in his arms, safe and comforted. I felt like somebody cared about me. Despite my wishing the moment would never end, it did, all too soon. After the song ended I thanked him for dancing with me and then returned to my friends with a huge smile plastered on my face. I had a feeling it would be there for the rest of the night, and so it was. I of course got tons of questions thrown at me once I got through the crowd back to my friends.

“Who's idea was it?” I heard one say.

“Mine” I replied.

“Wait, you asked him?” they said.

“Yeah, so” I said, acting as if it was no big deal. And at first it wasn't a big deal when I actually asked him, but as I was dancing with him I was sure that it was, because I had just danced with the most popular guy in the junior class.

“Wow, you've got guts.” One said.

I didn't really think that I did, but as I thought about it throughout the night I realized, yeah I guess I did have guts because most girls would not have the guts to go up to the most popular, cute, older guy and ask him to dance. I suddenly got a proud and confident feeling in myself...if only it lasted.

The next day I saw him we didn't talk except for the everyday “hi” we say to each other as we enter Spanish class. We made some eye contact throughout the class and I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking about me, or if he was even thinking about me at all.

I don't know what will happen in the future, only time will tell. But maybe, just maybe, I made a lasting impression on him that might just win us our chance to be together. Maybe, that small insignificant event will lead to something rather significant.


The author's comments:
Read and find out! (: