You ARE Beautiful:Why We View Ourselves as "Ugly" and "Not Good Enough" | Teen Ink

You ARE Beautiful:Why We View Ourselves as "Ugly" and "Not Good Enough"

By ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Nobody's perfect, I've known that for a while now. And sometimes I don't even care about my appearance. But then there are those girls who you are just dying to be. The girls who are stick thin with a gorgeous face and everything. I've always wished to be that girl. Some girls think that I'm perfect. And yet, why can't I?

So many girls out there are going through this, which makes me feel a little better. Why aren't we perfect? Why is her skin flawless? Why can't I be skinny? We ask these questions everyday. So, why?

I think the media just kills our self confidence. You see adds everywhere for acne erasing medicine and diet plans that help you shed 30 pounds in 2 weeks. There are dozens of pictures of celebrities with the nicest bodies and faces. It's like they're saying we're not good enough just the way we are. We have to buy their products and do their diet in order to look perfect.

We're being pulled into this unhealthy habit of wanting to look perfect. We think that it's necessary to do these things, for what ever reason you have. Maybe you want to impress some guy, maybe you want to make another girl jealous. Maybe you just want to because it'll make you feel better about yourself. We see it as healthy, but really there's nothing good about this need for perfection.

We've lost all sense of what the real defintion of beautiful is. We might say it's a girl with shiny hair, a flawless face, the skinniest body, and the prettiest facial features. Really, that's not it, at all. What counts is what's on the inside.

I can go on forever about this, but let's wrap it up. You're beautiful in your own way. You might not have the skinniest body or the clearest face, the straightest teeth or the nicest smile, but you're beautiful. Tell yourself that everyday. Set goals. Work hard at them. Don't let the appearances of others trick you into thinking they're perfect, because they're not. Keep your head held high, because you are truly beautiful.

Ever look in the mirror and call yourself ugly? Ever look at your friend and wish you were as pretty as them? Yeah, me too. But that's an unhealthy habit, and it needs to be broken. Why? Because you ARE beautiful.

ikinz101 GOLD said...
on Nov. 7 2010 at 6:16 pm
ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
I'm glad you can relate to this article! I feel the same way about myself, and it's true that beauty comes from the inside. Thank you for reading my article! :)

ikinz101 GOLD said...
on Nov. 7 2010 at 6:15 pm
ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Thank you so much! I'm glad that teens my age can relate to my feelings. :)

on Nov. 7 2010 at 3:12 pm
loveisblind GOLD, Tenino, Washington

This world, it ends as you believe it to end; yet it'll live on to the actuall end, where then you admit yourself wrong.

~Me~

Amazing article, I love it! I can truly relate to this and it makes so much sense; five stars is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!

Great job and keep writing

moonlight said...
on Nov. 6 2010 at 10:41 pm
I can relate to this article and it makes me feel better that im not the only one who feels this way sometimes i dont even like to look in the mirror bc i feel dissappointed with what i see but i guess that true beauty is on the inside. keep writing