You ARE Beautiful:Why We View Ourselves as "Ugly" and "Not Good Enough" | Teen Ink

You ARE Beautiful:Why We View Ourselves as "Ugly" and "Not Good Enough"

November 3, 2010
By ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
17 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Nobody's perfect, I've known that for a while now. And sometimes I don't even care about my appearance. But then there are those girls who you are just dying to be. The girls who are stick thin with a gorgeous face and everything. I've always wished to be that girl. Some girls think that I'm perfect. And yet, why can't I?

So many girls out there are going through this, which makes me feel a little better. Why aren't we perfect? Why is her skin flawless? Why can't I be skinny? We ask these questions everyday. So, why?

I think the media just kills our self confidence. You see adds everywhere for acne erasing medicine and diet plans that help you shed 30 pounds in 2 weeks. There are dozens of pictures of celebrities with the nicest bodies and faces. It's like they're saying we're not good enough just the way we are. We have to buy their products and do their diet in order to look perfect.

We're being pulled into this unhealthy habit of wanting to look perfect. We think that it's necessary to do these things, for what ever reason you have. Maybe you want to impress some guy, maybe you want to make another girl jealous. Maybe you just want to because it'll make you feel better about yourself. We see it as healthy, but really there's nothing good about this need for perfection.

We've lost all sense of what the real defintion of beautiful is. We might say it's a girl with shiny hair, a flawless face, the skinniest body, and the prettiest facial features. Really, that's not it, at all. What counts is what's on the inside.

I can go on forever about this, but let's wrap it up. You're beautiful in your own way. You might not have the skinniest body or the clearest face, the straightest teeth or the nicest smile, but you're beautiful. Tell yourself that everyday. Set goals. Work hard at them. Don't let the appearances of others trick you into thinking they're perfect, because they're not. Keep your head held high, because you are truly beautiful.


The author's comments:
Ever look in the mirror and call yourself ugly? Ever look at your friend and wish you were as pretty as them? Yeah, me too. But that's an unhealthy habit, and it needs to be broken. Why? Because you ARE beautiful.