My Grandma | Teen Ink

My Grandma

September 28, 2010
By whitkostdnt10 GOLD, South Whitley, Indiana
whitkostdnt10 GOLD, South Whitley, Indiana
18 articles 0 photos 67 comments

As people get older it’s always expected for them to get weaker and sicker. It’s always worse when it just so happens to be your elderly relative though. Sometimes when it happens to someone else you don’t care or you don’t think to look twice. When it happens to you it doesn’t seem real, or you just choose to ignore it until the last minute. My grandma has had a myriad of things happen to her.

My grandma has been there for all of my mother’s life and all of mine. She sometimes seems like a permanent fixture in my life. As much as I’d like her to be, she’s not always going to be here, and I fear that last day is going to happen very soon. Without her, everything seems a lot less happy, and when she’s there she makes everyone laugh, she’s the one that keeps my family sane. She keeps me sane.

My grandma has diabetes. She’s had surgery on both her knees and on her back. She’s been sent to the hospital twice for severe food poisoning. I wish I could look the other way as most others do, but I can’t, it’s far too hard and painful to ignore. I’d like her to always be there, but she won’t, but she’s doing the very best she can.

My grandma has two sons and two daughters. Three of her kids had kids while the other one lives with her. The last one is my aunt. She’s been living in the same house with my grandma all her life, and I’m glad she’s there to help her incase something bad happens to her. At least if something happens she has a good chance of survival.

My grandma turned seventy-four this year. She’s not exactly young, which starts to worry my relatives. She’s the center of the family, the head of the family. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas she hosts the get-together. We all go to her house and eat a big dinner. I don’t know if we’ll still go there every year or not.

She gets older every year, and every year she gets weaker. She owns a farm which, in turn, keeps her a little stronger, which is good, but I still help her with it every chance I get.