The Thought of Highschool | Teen Ink

The Thought of Highschool

August 26, 2010
By eMiLyP GOLD, Jeannette, Pennsylvania
eMiLyP GOLD, Jeannette, Pennsylvania
13 articles 6 photos 127 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is short; speak your mind, say what ya wanna say, and do what ya wanna do (as long as you don't get caught!).


Highschool. The word itself isn’t that scary, but the meaning behind it is. Summer is a safe time for those who don’t like school. But as it comes to an end, many begin to feel the pressure.

That’s how I feel at the moment that I’m writing this. There are three days until my first day of highschool. Just the thought of it makes my stomach flutter with nervousness. I wasn’t like that last week though. It was the day of Freshman Orientation that the reality really began to sink in.

At Orientation, all the Freshman and their parents gathered in the highschool’s auditorium. I sat next to my mom and my best friend. We had hung out all day together and shared our worries. We were nervous to see the people we hadn’t seen in three long months. After arriving though, it was kind of nice to see all the people we used to talk to in our classes. But as the room grew quiet and the principal stepped up to the podium in the middle of the stage, my joy was gone.

He began by telling us that highschool is the time in our lives where things really start to count. Gee, what a great way to make everyone feel better. He introduced the rest of the speakers and some of the teachers that had come. One of those teachers was one that I had in elementary school, but was now teaching at the highschool. He wasn’t my favorite teacher back then, but I’d be able to handle him now.

After all the speakers were done babbling on about how highschool is a chance to start over and to meet new people and all that, the freshman were assigned a classroom according to their last names where they would receive their schedules. Luckily a friend of mine and I have last names beginning with the same letter, so we were in the same room.

We were lead to the classrooms by two Sophomores, a cheerleader, and an annoying guy who said the word “frickin’” a lot. They both were a little too peppy for my taste. So we got to the classroom, found our schedules and sat at a desk. The Sophomores talked about the school, the rules, and ways the rules could be broken without getting caught. (I’m thinking the principal wouldn’t be too happy if he found out what they were telling us.)

After that we were able to go around the school and find our classes if we wanted too. I got lost just trying to find the main office where I was supposed to meet my mom. Luckily I found my best friend. We immediately compared schedules to see what classes we had together, but sadly, there was not a one. After some help from our friend’s mom, we found our way to the main office where both of our mothers awaited. I showed my mom my schedule and pointed out the fact that I had gym 8th period, just like I’d been hoping! So at least one good thing came out of my schedule.

Then my mom and I went off finding my locker and looking to see where each of my classes were. I found that I’ll be getting quite a bit of exercise while running around to my classes. By this point I was stressed beyond belief. If my mom hadn’t been with me, I would have been lost in a second, which is how I imagine the first day will be like.

Actually, that’s not how I imagine it at all. I imagine it to be much, much worse. First of all, when I walk into school, sure my older brother will be with me, but soon he’ll have to go off to find his home room. I at least memorized the route from the front entrance to my locker and from there to my home room, which is also my first period class. From there I can get to my next few classes, but after 5th period, I’m probably going to be completely panicking. The reason: on the schedules they don’t tell you which lunch you have, which is very frustrating. Lunch is the most crucial part of the day! And of course it’s the one thing they don’t tell you about.

After that, though, I should be fine again. I just have to get through one more period before I will be in the safest place in my highschool. Sculpture. It is the class where all my worries can melt away. My brother took the class and brought home some amazing pieces of art. And from what he tells me, the teacher is awesome. From there is study hall, by far the best class. Basically because it isn’t really a class! And because it’s the last class of the day. Study hall will be my chance to unwind and think about the challenges I faced throughout my day. Until the year is half over, that is. Then, my 8th period study hall will change to gym class, and my 3rd period will change to study hall. But still, I think it’ll all work out in the end. Somehow.

I plan to write about my actual experience after my first week in the scariest place on earth is done. But until then you can suspect that I’ll be worrying and panicking and getting lost. So until then, wish me luck!


The author's comments:
I'm soo nervous about highschool that I knew writing about it would help to ease my worries. I hope that others can relate too. I hope you enjoy!