Hard learned lessons from the past | Teen Ink

Hard learned lessons from the past

By JDCole GOLD, El Dorado, Arkansas
JDCole GOLD, El Dorado, Arkansas

"We can be slaves, or we can be.... LYCANS!!!!-Lucien

The Good Ole Days
People always talk about how much better we have it. If you’ve ever been around your older relatives for more than ten minutes, then you’ve probably had the “When I was Your Age speech”. I know that we all get tired of hearing how grandpa had to walk ten miles to school, uphill both ways, everyday(which is impossible). But, grandpa is right, life is a lot easier today than it was in his day. We have a plethora of new technology that he would only have dreamed about at our age. We have iPods, computers, digital cable, and so much more, but there are a few things that grandpa had that you won’t find much these days, those being respect, honor and dignity.
You ask any person over the age of thirty, and more than likely they will tell you that in their day, they respected their elders. Back then, people took the time out of their day to be decent people before anything else. They waved to you when they saw you walking down the street; they said “Yes Ma’am and No Sir” and above all else they were respectful. I admit that I have not done this growing up, and in many ways this makes me a hypocrite. When I was younger, I argued with my mom constantly, and there were many days when my disrespect and hateful words reduced her to tears. At the time, I did what any other teenager would do; I smiled at myself because I won the fight, proving that I was better than all these old people who thought they knew more than me. My mom died last October, and since then I have been basically on my own living as an adult long before I was ever ready, and I’m not ashamed to say, “I want my mommy”. I would give anything to have that loving woman there taking care of me and cleaning up my messes again. I can’t count the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep thinking about all the things I have done to hurt her in the past. If I could go back, I would honor and cherish every moment I had with her and treat her with all the respect that she deserved. Sadly, I can’t do that, but it has taught me a very valuable lesson. Now I am closer to my family than I have ever been. I love every second just sitting there drinking a Coke and watching the O’Reilly Factor with my uncle or laughing and gossiping with my aunt and cousin. I have learned to take advantage of all of life’s little things and cherish the moment I have with those I love, because one day, before you ever realize it, they will be gone.
I had to learn this lesson the hard way, and to all reading this; I pray you don’t have to. To all you Icons of the Golden Age, I say thank you, I finally got the message you have been trying to teach my generation. To all of you like me, young and ignorant to what really matters, wake and smell the coffee, and while you’re at it, pour a cup for your grandpa, or aunt, or uncle, parents, whoever, and for once in your life listen to what they have been trying to teach you since you were in diapers- you may be shocked by how much better your life will be because of it.

Meavescrete SILVER, Potomac, Maryland

This is so true. The respect thing and all from the past. Where i come from, we still keep all of the respect values and such. Y ou are expected to respond to an elder like 'Yes sir, No Ma.'

P.S. I don't like the smell of coffee, so i won't smell the coffee, but i will smell the flowers thank you very much.