The woods | Teen Ink

The woods

By mcrfhgirl4ever GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
mcrfhgirl4ever GOLD, Henderson, Nevada

"Imagine a king who fights his own battles. Wouldn't that be a sight?" -Brad Pitt as Achilles in Troy
"Do you love me because I am beautiful, or am i beautiful because you love me?" -Unknown

The dark woods behind my house on Washington always seemed ugly and scary to people. Parents would always tell their children "Stay out of the woods" and they would listen. I had been told that many times but I still was curious. What was so bad about these woods?
I was a child who usually never listened. I'd listen if it had a reason but this time it did not. Like I said I never listened. One day, when I was home alone, I decided to check out the woods. I walked up the hill with my sketch book and pencil in hand and I jumped the fence.
The trees loomed above me but I didn't feel scared. I walked into the trees but i didn't go far. I found a fallen tree and sat on it. Careful to cover my pages from the rain I started drawing.
It came easily to me as I drew and I realized something in that moment. The woods weren't scary or creepy. They were beautiful and only seemed scary because of the dark skies above. The woods would always be beautiful to me.