The Musician | Teen Ink

The Musician

January 13, 2010
By violingoddess GOLD, Mesa, Arizona
violingoddess GOLD, Mesa, Arizona
10 articles 9 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
It ain't bad being good
when you feel like you can no longer stand- get on your knees
Curiousity is the mother of discovery


Tired eyes, sore from reading nothing but black notes on a page. Fingertips callused tough after long hours of beatings given by strings. Ears not letting what had been rehearsed escape the brain, Night on Bald Mountain to be exact. Rehearsals have been growing longer because of the preparation to perform in Carnegie Hall. “Getting to New York is going to be tough,” said the orchestra director, “but it’s going to be worth the money and practice.” The musician sighed and packed up their instrument. *Lock * Lock* went the case. When the musician got home, they took out their instrument and plucked the strings G D A Eeeee the E string sang. The musician smiled “In tune as always…” As the musician played, they imagined themselves at Carnegie Hall performing a beautiful solo in front of a large crowd. You see, this musician has fallen in love with performing Mozart, Brahms and Bach. Their favorite violinist has always been Joshua Bell. But this musician wasn’t a child prodigy like Mr. Bell; they were “normal” and never had over a year of private lessons. And money can’t buy this musician a new instrument as amazing as Joshua’s Gibson Stradivarius. No matter how hard this musician practices, their orchestra teacher has told them not to even think about performing a senior solo. Just because they never could afford private lessons or have enough motivation to audition for All State. But this musician will not give up for they are strong. So here I stand… with my violin in my hands. Practicing until I get that solo and into All State. I will do whatever it takes to get to my goal.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because my orchestra director told me I couldn't be worth enough for a senior solo at the end of this year. So I wrote about it. I was sick and tired of being told "you can't". So I wrote this piece of work. What I get from this is more self confidence.