Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

By AbbyQ PLATINUM, Fairbanks, Alaska
AbbyQ PLATINUM, Fairbanks, Alaska

"When the coroner cuts me open, he will find ink in my veins and blood on my typewriter keys."

The letters must go to the mailbox. The cloudy-cream envelopes and their contents of love must go to the mailbox. So I sweep them off the kitchen counter, which is littered with crumbs, and slip out of the house. The faded green door slams like a thunder clap behind me. No one will wonder who left. They’re used to me.

I wear no shoes. The sandpaper cement is hard and soft beneath my toes, warm in the sun, cold in the shade. Every step makes a shuck shuck sound as dry feet create friction with dry stone.

In less than a moment, the kingdom of cement is behind me, and I trade its cool certainty for dusty, shifting gravel. Avoiding the rockiest areas, I plod along with a lazy familiarity that could only be born from years’ worth of believing shoes are overrated. A silky film of dust constantly cradles the soles of my feet, but I simply don’t care. Barefoot is free.

AbbyQ PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 8 2010 at 2:34 am
AbbyQ PLATINUM, Fairbanks, Alaska

Please give feedback! I need help improving!