My First Dog, Jack | Teen Ink

My First Dog, Jack

By smartbutshort BRONZE, Bethel, Alaska
smartbutshort BRONZE, Bethel, Alaska

It was a calm, sunny day in Portland, Oregon. My mom and I had just arrived in Portland, exhausted from the red-eye flight the night before. My moms’ friend, Holly, just picked us up and was driving us to her farm in Washington. It was a long drive to her farm in Trout Lake, Washington. I was feeling anxious, since I never had my own pet before. We arrived at the farm and I met her family. I asked Holly where my dog was, and she pointed me in the right direction. I saw him and knew I had the right dog.
We found him online, near where Holly lived. She picked him up and brought him to her farm a couple days before we got there. My dog was probably the best I could’ve hoped for. At the time, he was a tri-color, very cute and small. He was a tiny dog and I was really happy to see him, and yet anxious at the same time. I played with him and gave him treats and he was still uncomfortable around me. I named him Jack because I was planning on getting a Jack Russell Terrier, so I just named him Jack. He eventually started to feel comfortable around me and I let him out to play with Holly’s other dogs. He had a great time and I was exhausted from the flight.

Right before dinner, I fell asleep for a long time, my mom eventually woke me up and brought me to the room I was staying in. I fell asleep immediately as soon as I lay down in my bed. It was a really great day and the I can’t imagine now what it is to live without him.

It was an assignment.